Subjects that are taboo in soaps?

• Members

Not only that but people need to grow up. A genre that stays the same and doesn't push the envelope are the same ones that die. That's why soaps are in the grave right now. 

@Bright Eyes, I know how HO can get but I am sure it can't be as worse as EE or Corrie at the moment. I've practically give up on them. Especially EE. The Zainab line was the last straw. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not sure I understand the question.   What is the point of any story except to hopefully be an interesting story that entertains the audience.   I can't believe that Wiseguy has the brother sister team 20 years ago, maybe 25?  Nip/Tuck had the mother/son team ten years ago, and Game Of Thrones has the Lannister siblings today, but the GH audience is comprised of such narrow minded Enid Nelsons that even the idea of a fictional incest story would be just too much for them to endure.   It's fictional, their crimes would still be less harmful to the world around them than serial killing Sonny and Jason murdering for fun and profit.    The GH audience will root for fake serial killers but would change the channel at a fictional incest story?   if the audience is that narrow and perpetually gasping for air as they try to come to themselves over  the scandal of what is allowed on TV these days, just cancel the show.  Who would want to watch such sanitized for our protection shows anyway?  

The answer as we know is "not too many people" which is why all the networks are slowly dying on the vine, along with the cable companies.

• Members

Falcon Crest became a very different show in its final season.  That was partly because of Jane Wyman's illness, but it was more than that.  The opening theme was changed, characters suddenly acted differently and a bunch of characters were dropped/added.  The biggest shift was how the show focused so heavily on Michael Sharp, a new character.  Michael had a sister named Lauren, who was brought in as a love interest for Richard after Maggie died.  It was seriously hinted that Michael had romantic feelings for Lauren, and that she knew it.

On DAYS, Sami's best friend in the mid-90s was a girl named Jamie.  Her father was having sex with her.  We saw a little bit of his bad behavior on-screen, although it wasn't overly graphic.  Jamie was about 16 at the time.

I think GH had at one point implied that Claudia had sex with her father Anthony.  He called her a slut and said "nobody knows that better than your dear old dad."  Claudia responded: "Don't you dare throw that in my face.  I was 16 years old.  You were the adult."

As for Passions, let's not forget that Julian was pretty bad himself in the show's first couple of years.  I remember one time that he was fighting at the hospital with a bunch of people.  Chad was there.  He and Chad hadn't said much, if anything, to each other.  Before walking away he suddenly, and randomly, turned to Chad and said "the Crane family has donated generously to the NAACP."  

• Members

The Dutch soap GTST had an incest storyline in 2002 when original character Laura Selmhorst fell in love with a much younger guy, Dennis. The two married and even had a child  named Sil together. Later Dennis searched for his biological father. It turned out that he was Laura's son as the child she believed to be her son and Dennis were switched after birth. To soften the scandal, the show decided to rewrite Sil's paternity so that Laura's ex-husband turned out to be the child's father.

In Germany, both UU and VL had incest stories. On UU, Claudia and Gideon had sex and later found out that they were mother and son. On VL, twins Jan and Julia were seperated at birth and met each other as adults. It was love at first sight. Their "forbidden love" drove the first two years of the show until they were written out seperately. In 2011, both characters were revived and eventually received their happy ending.

On the German soap GZSZ, there is currently a very extreme incest story going on involving the characters Katrin Flemming (aka Gabi), Jasmin Flemming (aka Melanie) and Frederic "Rico" Riefflin. Long story short: In the late 80s, Gabi and Rico had a fling when they both were teens. Gabi became pregnant but Rico left her. Gabi gave birth to her daughter Melanie but left her in the care of her mother Irene. Gabi then changed her name to Katrin Flemming and started a new life. She became a successful architect. For the first years of her life, Melanie grew up with Irene who passed her off as her own daughter to receive child allowance. Since Irene was a drunken mess, Melanie received a new home in a foster family where she was sexually abused by her adoptive father. From now on, Melanie was known as Jasmin Nowak, In 2008, Katrin and Jasmin reunited, but have always had a dysfunctional relationships due to their troubled history. Katrin even went to prison after gunning down Jasmin's adoptive father. Jasmin had problems with romance and sexuality due to the abuse. She married a much older guy, Kurt, and then had a relationship with another woman, Anni. A few months ago, Dr. Frederic Riefflin appeared in town. Katrin and him had a little fling, but he soon started dating Jasmin instead. Right now Frederic and Jasmin are in a committed relationship. Both Frederic and Katrin have had flashbacks about their teenage years, but they don't recognize each other due to their changed appearances and different names. However, the audience already knows that Frederic is "Rico" and that him and Jasmin are father and daughter.

In 1997, "Lindenstraße" (the German equivalent of Corrie) had a storyline where Max, the 8-year old son of Andi and Gabi Zenker, was kidnapped and murdered. The storyline was revived in 2012 when Andi and Gabi were confronted with the child's murderer.

• Members

Im with you. I see nothing exciting or interesting about relatives sleeping together. This sh-t does happen on soaps and its gross and a mess. If people want incest, watch B&B.  Those arent even blood hookups. Its a whole other level of nasty to go down that route

Archived