Sign in to follow this  
Vee

Star Trek returns with streaming series

Vee   

Sonequa gets emotional discussing Trek and Nichelle Nichols around 16:30-40(?):

Edited by Vee

Vee   

Heard today Sonequa Martin-Green indeed was Bryan Fuller's choice for Burnham, and part of the production delay involved her being made available from TWD. Good to know.

Vee   

Bryan Fuller discusses clashes with CBS - it sounds like his insistence on casting Sonequa Martin-Green and waiting for her TWD contract to end got him dismissed.

Fuller felt he found the crucial piece of the puzzle when he met last fall with Sonequa Martin-Green to play his lead, Michael Burnham — the Vulcan-raised human Starfleet First Officer who serves under the command of Michelle Yeoh’s Captain Philippa Georgiou. "Her audition was fantastic," Fuller recalls. "I found her incredibly insightful as an actor and delightful as a human being."

Yet even that decision ran into a seemingly insurmountable roadblock because AMC would not release the actress until her Walking Dead character died on screen in May. The only way the production could hire Martin-Green was if the show’s premiere was delayed, and it had already been delayed once already.

I had a feeling CBS stock director David Semel was not his choice. Edgar Wright would've been amazing on the pilot.

I will watch the show out of longstanding loyalty to the brand and liking what I've seen of the cast, crew and story Fuller helped assemble, but I'm pretty disgusted again.

Edited by Vee

DRW50   

Reading the article about Fuller's plans, I had to roll my eyes when he kept saying he was going to make the show into a sci-fi version of American Horror Story, but I think the idea of it being an anthology show wouldn't have been too bad. 

Vee   

Variety has a gorgeous cover story and photo shoot with Sonequa Martin-Green, Michelle Yeoh and Jason Isaacs.