Actors who talk down their soap past

• Members

I agree about him being lucky for the attention, although I could see it being overwhelming to anyone, let alone someone so young and from a laid back background. I wonder though, if BB felt he got the shaft once it became obvious that Lily & Holden were the 'it' young couple and he was the odd man out.

I'd love to read an interview from him because I'm late on all the behind the scenes stuff and I've yet to read an actual interview from him where he gives these remarks downgrading his daytime past

P&G were not really known for doing right by their talent, though, were they?

As many great things that Julianne Moore has had to say about her fellow actors, even she mentioned that her experience on daytime was that other than other actors helping her find her way around (Marisa Tomei, Kathryn Hays, Don Hastings), you were basically on your own. From her remarks, I took it to mean that the pace was fast and the scripts had a lot of dialogue but there wasn't much direction or guidance from say a director, maybe? And I could see the higher ups having even less regard, just wanting to do whatever it takes to keep the machinery moving.

Knowing how P&G conducted business in the end, I could see them leaving a poor perception with many of their actors. Seems like they have a history.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Irna in particular was supposedly cruel and hostile toward cast members - I think Don McLaughlin was asked about this and said if she liked you, she liked you (I think he said he got along well with her), but otherwise it wasn't easy.

I have a lot of dislike for actors who bash soaps, but sometimes I do see their side. I remember about 20 years ago, when Kate Mulgrew was interviewed by Michael Logan or someone, and she said she was tired of talking about Ryan's Hope and why couldn't people ask her about things like Hedda Gabler. Someone wrote in to Soap Opera Weekly asking Mimi Torchin to slate Mulgrew for her arrogance. Torchin said she was tired of talking about actors doing this, but proceeded to passive-aggressively state that Mulgrew really hadn't done anything popular or to be remembered for since RH. (of course Mulgrew has gone on to several popular roles, while Torchin was last seen writing for Nellie Oleson, so I guess we know who won that battle)

I could say, wow, who does Mulgrew think she is, yet we know she has repeatedly spoken positively about her soap work over the years, a few years ago even doing an extended video interview with Claire Labine.

She just wanted to speak bluntly about her soap work and not wanting to be defined by it.

• Members

And some people get it later

I remember George Pilgrim who was replaced by Ethan Erickson as J on GL in 1996 saying at that time, "I went backwards by doing a soap" . That quote puzzled me since his only credits prior were an episode of Red Shoe Diaries and the film Tammy & The T Rex.

However in recent years on his facebook he has been nastolgic about his GL days

• Members

Yes, I remember seeing that later article, as well. When she first made such derogatory comments about Leslie Brooks, way back in the 1970s, I was perplexed, because I thought the character was fascinating, and certainly, William J. Bell gave Lynde extraordinary material to play. The character had an acute schizophrenic nervous breakdown onstage, wandered in a semi-catatonic state around Detroit, and ended up as a "Jane Doe" in a local, state-run mental hospital. It was a tour-de-force for Lynde, and I felt at the time that any actress would be thrilled to be given such an opportunity. I found her initial criticism of her role to be misplaced at best, and obnoxious at worst. I'm glad that she later matured and saw the light.

• Members

A lot of the original cast made it clear that they wanted out. Lynde was quoted as saying that the only reason the show held onto some of the original actors as long as it did, was because they were allowed "outs" to do other projects. William Gray Espy (Snapper) was so frustrated at one point that he punched a wall, severely damaging his hand. Jaime Lyn Bauer has mentioned the atrociously low salary she received at first. The backstage drama seems to have always raged at Y&R. :)

• Members

I have read that a lot of the backstage drama at Y&R in the 70's/early 80's was due to John Conboy being tyrant. He and Bill Bell would fight long distance. They said Bell and Alden would eat lunch and watch the show. After it was over, if Bell saw something he didn't like, he called Conboy in the control booth and let him have it. Their was a power struggle between the two.

Most of the original actors were all gone by 1980.

Dorothy Green lashed out at Bill Bell in a 1977 newspaper article I found online. She said Bell only knew how to write women as unhappy victims. She also was pissed she was being killed off the show.

Archived