The Odd Couple: Discussion Thread

• Administrator

The Odd Couple: Discussion Thread

THE ODD COUPLE – THE ODD COUPLE stars Matthew Perry as endearing slob Oscar Madison and Thomas Lennon as uptight neat freak Felix Unger, two former college buddies who become unlikely roommates after the demise of their marriages. It’s not long after Oscar lets Felix move in that Oscar fears he’s made a monumental mistake. However, despite how exasperated they make each other, these mismatched friends agree they can help each other move on from their divorces and somehow make this crazy living arrangement work.

Wendell Pierce and Lindsay Sloane also star. Matthew Perry, Emmy Award winner Joe Keenan, Bob Daily, Sarah Timberman, Carl Beverly, Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum are executive producers for CBS Television Studios.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While remakes generally make me groan, I've said for a while now that Matthew Perry belongs on a Multi-Cam sitcom on CBS and not in those single-cam ones that failed on ABC and NBC, so I hope it's a success. Maybe give it the Post-Big Bang Slot.

• Members

I'd love to know that myself. No matter who's playing the other role, Matthew Perry IS Felix.

Honestly, if not for his illness and the fact that this will not be taped in NYC, I'd rather see Michael J. Fox as Oscar. His take might not be as sloppy, but I think he could capture the other qualities about him very well.

• Members

Even if he does, though, I wouldn't feel too bad for him. After all, "Mr. Sunshine" and "Go On" will one day fade into the recesses of our minds. But "Hello Larry"? That, I'm afraid, will never fade away.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

This was awful. I never watch sitcoms but for the Odd Couple and Matt Perry I decided to give it a shot. It is anti-funny and I made it through one segment and the meager credits and theme before I gave up.

Matthew Perry is all wrong for this role. He should have been Felix. The guy who plays Felix was too subdued to be Felix. Nothing was funny and yet the fake laugh track never stopped. This easily is the worst three minutes of television I have seen all year and renews my resolve to not watch sitcoms. Friends was the last one I watched I think, and I doubt I will watch another any time soon.

• Members

God I hope it improves. This just felt off. Oscar isn't sloppy enough and Felix isn't fussy enough. (though DAYUM, that yoga pose was amazeballs). I've seen that Felix dude around---and I've never found him funny. And Perry's brand of fluster doesn't come close to Klugman or Matthau's genuine surliness.

Nice try with imitating Tony Randall's hhhhooonnnnnnkkkk.

Archived