Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

True. And that is fine....however, because the audience knows that Hakeem didn't do it, he will get sympathy. It was written to garner Hakeem sympathy. Especially when you compound it with the revelation that his girlfriend has a girlfriend. Hakeem is the sympathetic one in this situation.

Again, it hurt my heart but I love the drama. Meh...one brother punched another. It's not that big of a deal to me. Jamal is at a crossroads and doesn't know who to trust. I love this character and his evolution. It's quick but I dig it.

• Members

bang-wall.gif

What part of JAMAL DOESN'T KNOW HAKEEM DIDN'T DO IT don't you get? Come on, don't pretend you're not getting it, you're much too smart for that.

And since when do you care who the writing props? The writing on Y&R is decimating Hilary and Devon and yet you see through that and refuse to accept it.

Come on now! :lol:;)

Edited by YRBB

• Members

But see I'm not saying that Jamal's conclusion was the worst conclusion, especially since the thugs mentioned the watch. My point is Daniels is really pushing the audience to see that even though Jamal is gay, he can be bad ass. That's not necessary. Jamal is a human being first, so yeah, its possible he can be bad ass and his sexuality has nothing to do with it. Jamal is coming off like a whiny bitch with a huge chip. If your father is homophobic, so damn what! I'm just not as impressed/enthralled with this guy as most of you seem to be. I don't have a motive to dislike him. I just don't [!@#$%^&*] like him. In fact, I loathe his ass, and in the hood where's he's trying to make music, there are plenty of trash cans that await him!

• Members

Saint Hakeem!! :lol:

But, it's OK. Jamal will probably be apologizing by next week and will go back to supporting, comforting and guiding his little brother, while Hakeem repays him by badmouthing him to his father (AGAIN), competing and wanting to do better (AGAIN) and being jealous (AGAIN).

• Members

I am going to need you to take it from 10 to at least an 8 so we can have a rational conversation about this. j/k LMBO!

I totally get why people HATE Devon and Hilary. The writing dictates that they do and I have said it a many times that I understand. Hevon are the EVUL villains to poor, pitiful, good man Neil. However, I will never hate them over some heinous writing and see right through it. It's the same for Jamal. I get why people don't like him. However, there is nothing that they can do to make ME hate Jamal. I wub him. And always will. And I won't assign some nefarious reason for why people do when it is clearly in the writing for them to dislike him. Not as overt and Devon and Hilary but it is there. Jamal is annoying...but I like that because they gives him layers. He is perfectly flawed!

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it seems I am talking out of both sides of my mouth on this issue so no need to point that out. tongue.png

• Members
I completely see what you see in regards to Jamal. I've seen some moments that I do like and I like him, but I agree about how they are trying too hard to show him as some bad ass, and I roll my eyes everytime he wants to 'please his daddy' and how he constantly worries what Lucious thinks and how he wants his approval at everything.

Look. It hurts to be rejected by a parent. I can't relate to that, thankfully, but I understand Jamal desiring his father's approval and love, but at some point you just have to do you and stop living your life trying to gain his support, respect and approval.

The writing has been uneven with Jamal, IMO. But I'm still rooting for him. I just think they're taking a basic way out with him as a character right now.

Little moments like how he found the song in his head last week, and the moment on the roof this week, that's what makes me like him and root for him. And it doesn't hurt that Jussie is good, and good looking. LOL

Edited by KMan101