The Young and The Restless - Revenge and Plinko!

• Members

And the thing is, who else could we really root for to win $10,000? When I first saw the promo, I was genuinely excited for Hillary (Hey, I watched TPIR as a kid, what can I say?). She needs the money. Even Esther is well off now. I guess there's Anita, but I wouldn't have been as happy for her. If Summer had been on this show and won I would have been rolling my eyes at a Newman winning something they don't need.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hilary makes plenty of money. I don't see her needing to win any money on a game show and I doubt it is played that way. Considering it is a lifelong dream, I think it will be played for the novelty of it all.

This is more suited for Jeff, Gloria, anita, or maybe even Kevin or Mason. But just no to Neil and Hilary. I actually don't mind it as much as many others who have expressed their dislike in this thread. But that oddity of this particular crossover being given to these characters is not lost on me.

• Members

I'd love examples of soaps (nighttime and daytime) that has consistently featured multiple minority character as part of the fabric of the show. I'm not talking about one or two seasons either. It seems that Y&R has done a better job compared to a hypocritical Hollywood (funny how they liberal in talk, but not in action when it comes to minorities and gays). Honestly, sometimes I think everything is termed a slights - so if Dylan and Avery would be featured, the opposite argument would have been posted by someone here. I think this new regime has done a great job in rebuilding the AA canvas.

• Members

I agree with this to an extent. I give this regime kudos for having 6 AA characters all portrayed by contract actors and all being in story(my only complaint is airtime and story continuity. I won't complain about the stories because no story is very good now). That's a big deal considering where Y&R was a few years ago. However, the idea that no one does better does not invalidate the arguments that Y&R can do better.

• Members

Perhaps. But not by me. Even if it weren't Neil and Hilary who were going on TPiR, I'd still complain about "a stupid game show" eating up airtime that would be better spent on "actual drama." The fact that it IS Neil and Hilary who are going on just brings race into the discussion as well for me.

• Members

But if you read a recent interview with the head of CBS Daytime, you'd understand that part of the reason for the success of CBS Daytime line-up during the past two years has been the effective cross-promotion on all shows - sending soap actors to TT and game shows, etc. It has been quite effective. So yeah, it's goofy and like you think it's "stupid," but it costs the shows nothing and gets additional attention and exposure. I'm sure if the actors had an issue with it, they were were plenty of others who could've taken their place. (In fact, N&H may not have been the first choice, we'll never know.)

• Members

How does TPIR do in the rating these days? I know it used to be hugely popular. I watched as a kid with my grandmother, but then I dropped game shows as a teen and only the soaps stuck with me. I don't mind these little crossovers though. I enjoyed when Pam and Donna did it. I thought the actors did a great job, but the B&B actors have always been good sports.

• Members

Yes, although I realize that I should've clarified that statement. I mean a character with edge who is palatable (so that excludes the likes of Adam, Patty or those of their ilk).

The Plinko business only detracts from Hilary. Probably the two most popular shows on daytime-- is a crossover really needed???

• Members

From many people I would say a definite yes, but KSJ reminds me off Thorsten Kaye, in the sense that they both have a sense of humor about their situations. Maybe both were hoping for grander things than soaps at one point in their lives, but they've landed pretty well and can laugh at themselves. Just my take.

Archived