Ratings from the 80's

• Members
NON-SOAPS: EARLY MORNING & DAYTIME SHOWS: WEEKLY NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 2/4/80-2/8/80 & 5/5/80-5/9/80:

As promised earlier this year, I will now start posting a spot-check (4 times a year, February, May, August, November) of the non-soap early morning & daytime shows from 1980-1989. This will give a general sense of how the non-soaps were doing throughout each year, and you can track how their clearances are through the years as well. I am not checking on the preemptions for these, so it will just be the rating/share/affiliates/clearance data.

Please register in order to view this content

Thanks, Joe!

Edited by JAS0N47

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just typed up the 8/1/88 ratings, and Days tied YR for 1st place in rating (7.8), although YR had the higher share (27 to 25). I didn't know after Days was 1st place on its own the week of 7/25/88 that it then tied YR for first place the following week! 

• Members

That was always my plan, since I already had posted all of the Soap Weekly charts many years ago. So, now each year will all be in one place on one page!

THE TWO WEEKS IN A ROW "DAYS" WAS RATED # 1...

I know this is jumping ahead a bit, but since I just worked on these today, and this is one of the few "Days" celebratory ratings posts I can make, here's a look at the two charts!

Here's a look at the two weeks in a row (7/25/88 and 8/1/88) that "Days" reached # 1 in the soap ratings.

• Members

Yes, Anne began July 6, 1987 & I always thought that was why someone, from P&G or from SOAPnet, chose to begin their shows at that time. No idea if that is borne out by any facts. 

@JAS0N47  I just want to say what a joy it is to watch you as both the data & the reaction to the data causes you to adjust & so are making your product that much better as you go along. 

• Members
  • Members
FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 8/31/87-9/4/87 & 9/7/87-9/11/87: (FINAL WEEK OF OLD SYSTEM...POSTING TO JUST SHOW THE COMPARISON...THE RATINGS TO BE USED FOR THIS WEEK ARE THE NEW PEOPLE METER RATINGS AS LISTED BELOW):

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 8/31/87-9/4/87 & 9/7/87-9/11/87: DEBUT OF THE PEOPLE METER SYSTEM...THESE ARE THE NUMBERS USED FOR THESE TWO WEEKS:

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 9/14/87-9/18/87 & 9/21/87-9/25/87:

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

One year of Oprah plus debut of Geraldo and among the lowest tier soaps, Santa Barbara clearance now 99% (up from 97% at Oprah 6 month mark), Loving clearance now 89% (down from 91% at Oprah 6 month mark), and Ryan's Hope clearance still 81%.

We saw Y&R September 18, 1987 during the classics. Nikki's coffin dream.

Pre-emptions are still messing things up. During the fall we'll see the impact of Nielsen people meters.

• Members

Well, already I'm seeing an impact in that it is greatly impacting CBS' numbers negatively. B&B and GL are especially put in danger from this, with AW beating GL, and everyone but RH besting B&B multiple weeks. Obviously this shifts over time, but it has a very positive impact on ABC soaps.

Since we've now hit the beginning of the 1987-88 season, here's how 1986-87 panned out (vs. 1985-86)

1. GH 7.9 (-1.2)
2. Y&R 7.8 (-0.6)
3. OLTL 7.2 (-0.5)
4. AMC 7.0 (-0.9)
5. DAYS 6.8 (-0.6)
6. ATWT 6.7 (-0.1)
7. GL 6.0 (-0.6)
8. B&B 5.4 (--)
9. CAP 5.2 (0.0)
10. AW 5.0 (-0.3)
11. SB 4.3 (0.0)
12. LOV 3.9 (-0.2)
13. RH 2.7 (-0.4)
14. SFT 2.5 (-0.3)

GH and AMC really saw a steep decline this year, which, of course, impacted OLTL, but they were a much stronger show at this point and managed to hold their ground relatively well. Realistically, the name of the game this year was simply to lose as few viewers as possible, which was a challenge, especially during the summer pre-emptions thanks to Iran-Contra. ATWT held onto their previous year's numbers right up until the People Meters came in, and that made them lose ground vs. 85-86, but otherwise, they're among the strongest of the lot.

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 9/28/87-10/2/87 & 10/5/87-10/9/87:

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 10/12/87-10/16/87 & 10/19/87-10/23/87:

Edited by JAS0N47