Ratings from the 80's

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 9/16/85-9/20/85 & 9/23/85-9/27/85:

Please register in order to view this content

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 9/30/85-10/4/85 & 10/7/85-10/11/85:

Edited by JAS0N47

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Okay, so Season + Summer numbers for 1984-85 (vs. previous year):

1. GH 9.0 (-0.9)
2. AMC 8.1 (-0.7)
3. Y&R 8.0 (-0.6)
4. OLTL 7.3 (-0.5)
5. GL 7.2 (-0.7)
6. DAYS 7.0 (-0.2)
7. ATWT 6.7 (-1.0)
8. CAP 5.6 (-0.7)
9. AW 5.4 (-0.2)
10. LOV 4.1 (+0.4)
11. SB 3.5 (+0.2)
12. RH

3.2 (-1.6)

12. SFT 3.2 (-0.1)
14. EON 2.6 (-0.6)

A truly rotten year for everyone except SB and LOV, though NBC generally came away relatively unscathed. In RH vs. LOV's case, I would expect that the numbers would be more or less reversed if they'd not moved timeslots, which would have made RH's drop seem far less jarring. ATWT definitely needed a new headwriter at this point, truly not surprised Marland was brought on shortly after this.

As I think I mentioned upthread, this is the first year that VCRs truly took off, so I imagine some of the drop off in viewership is down to that, plus the upturn in the economy meaning more folks are out of the house during the day.

• Members

All My Children begins its descent. After being in the top 3 since 77-78, AMC drops yet stays competitive. AMC forgot what it did best love stories and family relationships. Not until the fall of 1989 does AMC rise again.  Ryan's Hope is just horrible the quality of the show was awful and ABC affiliates were dumping it and should have been canceled..tying SFT for last.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

This is getting ready to air in November and December. Originally AW was to film scenes in Egypt and had to transfer to Arizona quickly after the the Achille Lauro ocean liner hijacking took place in early October when the ship was hijacked off the coast of Egypt by four men from the Palestine Liberation Front.   It was in the news at the time that the safety of the cast and crew did not warrant the trip to Egypt.  It was jarring onscreen that Carl Hutchins buried an Egyptian treasure in the Arizona desert.

• Members

ABC and CBS saw significant drops this season. NBC was the most stable.

Not surprised Capitol saw a drop between ATWT and GL, which lost 1 point and .7 respectively. Even YR was down quite a bit. 

RH was completely killed off by its move, only to give Loving a slight boost which wouldn't mean much in the long run.