Y&R: Prominent Family Grows

jcren

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jack has mentioned Keemo since Josh Griffith took over. Another annoying thing is that the show already has one long-lost relative story with Dylan and Nikki. This is the laziest type of soap writing and to be doing two of these cliched stories at once is not a good start for these writers.

• Members

I agree that Jack is a dead character. Victor's kids and his meddling in their lives are what keeps him relevant. Without that Jack really has run his course (PB can blame himself for that since he was the biggest supporter of the "no Keemo" camp). I think that Victoria has aged Billy terribly as a character and the way the wrote the stories with him constantly screwing up and has made him tired and repetitive. The things that are happening with Adam right now seem fresh right because they have never happened to him before. What is it that Billy can do that won't seem like a repeat of the past? Nothing that I can see. They need to pair him with someone else and write for her. Let the drama be hers. Give screw up Billy a rest.

Abby could be a great character if they wrote her the way the used to write for Victoria (as a fierce, take no prisoners executive). For Kyle to be anything, they will need to recast IMO. I am just not feeling that actor.

• Members

I looooooved Keemo...I thought he was a well received character. They could cast a enigmatic 30 something Asian male...I have no doubt that he would be well received regardless of the writing or the acting...Many just want the character back. I think it is a can't miss situation for the show.

• Members

I don't think that the cousin will be "long lost"...they probably will all know him and act as if they have known him for years. IMO, he should not be trying to build a relationship or get to know any Abbots. The writing should make it clear that he has long standing relationships with them all. If I was writing this I would even have him call Abby by some childhood nickname and say that he grew up in NY and was a staple around Tracy's dinner table. Have her be the one to meet him at the door of the Abbot Mansion with a big smile and hug (as if he is her own son). Do not waste our time with internal Abbot conflict like with Adam and the Newmans. This Andrew can not have story like Adam, who is a son. Andrew is a cousin, who cares if anyone accepts him and he doesn't have to be around.

• Members

They should have brought in the character of Brooks Prentiss, Chuck Foster or Jennifer Elizabeth Foster to freshen things up. They would have ties to the original core families. Most soaps always have some sort of tie to their original families, but Y&R swept theirs under the rug and have harped on Abbott/Newman conflict for 30 years. It's like beating a dead horse.

The only 3 characters left from the 70's are Jill, Nikki & Paul.

• Members

I kind of feel like this is the mark of a bunch of writers who do not know or care about Y&R history and would rather dream up any old character in order to cast somebody they have their eye on. It's not like Robert Adamson is doing anything on this show. What about the chinny guy who plays Kyle? Surely he is an Abbott businessbot in training? Chance? Or is this a Billy recast under a disguised casting call?

Archived