Llanview In The Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live, by Jeff Giles out today

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm confused about some of those timelines. Brenda Brock makes it sound like she was on OLTL for a year under Gottlieb, but it was just a few months, I think. And I thought it was Gottlieb who started Alex/Carlo, not Rauch.

Rauch had John Fiedler too, but I don't think Marilyn Chris meant Gottlieb did that story.

• Members

Linda Gottlieb: Well, so what? That's probably true, but movies aren't done that way, and primetime shows aren't done that way. It isn't about that - it's about getting the best show. You don't get a good show when you're shooting in sequence; it's a ridiculous way to do things. To cling to that - people probably liked horses and buggies, too.

What a bitch. Yes I thnk Tomlin & Valentini showed us that OLTL can film out of order but still have the cast being friends off set, it doesnt hurt the show. Im glad LG was only there 3 years

I think JF may have played more than one role

• Members

There is talk about the 1st Becky Lee, Jill Voight & how great her audtion was.

Well maybe that was taken out of context but Ive also read from OLTLers b4 that LG was all about the editing & did very little on hands producing which many did not like.

• Members

It's hard for me to wrap my brain around the Gottlieb hate because that's when I found OLTL for myself, and I adored it. I totally hear HBS on all of the annoying little things like sound cues done in post. And comraderie among cast and crew is so vital for a happy healthy productive work enviornment, so for Linda to minimize its importance when it comes to putting forth a "better" show is just incongruous. I remember reading an interview of Robin Strasser where she talked about the cast taping on the 4th of July and grilling burgers and dogs out on the sidewalk on breaks, and that is just the sort of priceless dedication to craft you see most often in low-to-no pay theatre. When my friend posted on FB that she ran into a bunch of the AMC cast and crew laughing and living it up in a bar in Stamford after a long work week, I thought about that same priceless comraderie. Being on a NY soap in the '70s and '80s must have been magic.

• Members

There's a lot of compliments in there re: Gottlieb as well. I agree that her production had no peer.

The only thing I can recall in the book re: a Judith Light appearance was Tony Call's comment about what he'd heard of an RC idea for their joint return. Judith Light says she hadn't heard about that and that's all that I remember reading.

• Members

The Gottlieb era wooed me with the marriage of the intriguing Lord saga and the elegant production values. I found Dorian, Viki, and long-dead Victor to be so fascinating, and I maintain that pre-"Heart of a Lord" Victor was the most fascinating dead character to carry story on a soap opera that I have ever witnessed. I remember bits of OLTL from my mom's VHS viewing as she ironed clothes and I did my elementary school homework, but I didn't really follow the show until I was in high school and I recall asking her if Victor had ever actually been on the show. She replied, "Oh GOD, yes..." and I'd ask her endless questions about the Lord history as she'd watched since day one. I'm a sucker for dark psychological family drama, and when you throw sexy early '90s sax, social issues, penthouses, mansions, secret rooms, furs, and biracial people on top of it, well, Gottlieb's OLTL was right up my alley.

• Members

Sam and Gordon did work at DS together--though I've never been able to tell if they actually worked together or just were essentially interchangeable HWs. I assumed that's why Hall came over to OLTL with Gordon though.

And yes, Nixon did offer Loving to those actors--I believe Ellen saw it as a demotion (which, with Loving so low rated, it would have been, I suppose. Of course Loving had a bad history with black characters until Angie moved on.)

Archived