Most Disrespected Characters in Soaps?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mona Kane immediately came to mind. Her husband ran around on her and abandoned her and their daughter. She was a single, devoted mother to her only daughter who was often a resentful, ungrateful brat. Her best friend of many years betrayed her and slept with her much younger aforementioned daughter. She finally found love (with a married man in a loveless marriage) and his wife was unbearably cruel to her (okay, maybe she deserved that).

• Members

You know, I hated Victoria from the beginning when I watched the show, but I recently re-watched her initial storyline and she was actually a pretty well-rounded, interesting character in the beginning. She made a fantastic rival for Eden and I wish the show had continued to do more with that, instead of throwing her at Mason. Her marriage to him turned her into a desperate, pathetic mess when Mason & Julia unexpectedly caught fire. They basically sacrificed her for that coupling. I knew that she left Chip with Cruz and Eden, but I had no idea that she called Eden his "real mother" when she left. Talk about out of character.

Yet I'm still not sure if she was the most disrespected character on the show- I'd have to say that honor goes to Santana Andrade. In her backstory, she's the maid's daughter who gets pregnant with the love of her life's child, who happens to be the son of the man her mom works for. But- uh oh- the love of Santana's life, Channing, was actually gay. Her child, Brandon, is given up for adoption and is adopted by Gina Blake DeMott. CC, Channing's father, ends up marrying Gina to get custody of Brandon. Santana was always desperate to get Brandon back, but CC and Gina wouldn't budge. She then marries her high school sweetheart Cruz Castillo in order to obtain custody. Yet throughout the first half of their marriage, Cruz spends most of his time with true love Eden and setting a trap for her husband Kirk. Kirk goes to jail and Eden is still the thorn in Santana's side that won't go away. Then finally, a man starts paying her some attention....unfortunately, it's Keith Timmons. They begin having an affair. Gina, unhappy with the custody arrangement, begins drugging Santana (with Keith's help) to make her appear unhinged. Santana unwittingly becomes addicted, thinking she's only taking allergy medication. She also helps Eden catch on to Santana's affair and Eden blackmails Santana. Then, one rainy night while driving (drugged) with Keith Timmons, Santana accidentally runs Eden down with her car and covers it up, with some help from Keith. She is exposed and sent to the loony bin and Cruz & Eden reunite, as do Brandon & Gina. She escapes and holds Eden (and half the town) hostage, desperate for them to see what Gina did to her. Gina denies, denies, denies, and Santana goes back to the institution. 4 years later, she returns to town and ends up dating CC, of all people. She becomes pregnant and they get engaged. But Santana ends up losing the baby and CC dumps her, at which point she leaves town.

Victoria was disrespected, sure, but Santana OWNS this thread! (not that I cared for either character anyway)

• Members

Juniorz1: Victoria didn't proclaim Eden Chip's new mom, she just left him with Cruz and Eden and then the show suddenly declared Eden to be mommy. There was no reason Victoria had to leave Chip behind--or why she would. I found it to be incredibly demeaning, to both mother and child.

And, yes, Santana was unbelievably disrespected. She was Brandon's rightful mother, and I say that in spite of the fact that I remember how cool the Gina/Brandon relationship was. I always rooted for Gina to get him back from CC, and was thrilled when she did. But looking back, she never should have been his mother to begin with. I do remember thinking at the time that it was demeaning to pair Santana with CC after everything he did to her.

Archived