Tribute to Johnny Carson

BKuzak

• Members

on TCM on mondays, they have been showing some of Johnny's old interviews. It just got my thinking about him and how it's almost shocking that it's been a little over 21 years since he left late night in May of 1992. The world has changed. Back in 92 maybe there was 50 channels if you had cable, now some people who have cable have over 500 including HD channels.

I'm sure a lot of people have a lot of great memories of watching him for the 30 years he was on 1962-1992. I was too young to watch most of it but i did start watching during his final couple of years. I especially remember his last show, not the Bette Midler show (but i did watch that too) but the final episode where he did a quiet clip show. he was a great host and everyone wanted to be him. Just don't piss him off or else he would cut you out of his life (ask Joan Rivers.) I also loved to see what Doc Stverinsen would be wearing. he always had an interesting colored blazer and shirt on. and he's the only one out of the three who is still alive.

Anyone else have memories of watching Johnny? he took people through some real difficult times, Vietnam, Watergate, Iran Contra, gulf war, etc... he "went after" every president from Kennedy to Bush Senior.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

how was he an evil sociopath? David Letterman adored him, and comedians from Seinfeld to Leno all say he made them. Joan Rivers had a problem with him, and I think there may have been one or two more but in what way was he a sociopath? He seemed very shy, didn't publicize his enourmous charitable endeavors, and once he retired he never sought the spotlight again. I don't think Joan Rivers was the defining moment of his career.

• Members

I could see that, but as a TV host he was better than everyone. Unlike Leno, Letterman and all the others he did not co-opt every interview to serve as a launchpad for jokes to make himself look good. He always tried to make the guest look good and let them shine. Conan, Dave, Jay and all the others would never allow a guest to talk 30 seconds without interrupting trying to get their own laugh.

• Members

sounds like stuff people read in the tabloid papers and are duped into beleiving. Ed liked him very much. They were like brothers.he's said it in countless interviews and there's even a book about it. I do not beleive for one minute he was a wifebeater either. Yes he cheated on his wives and his career was more important but he was too much of a distant man to physcially abuse a wife. and it owuld have come out by now (not in tabloid trash papers.) Joan Rivers made a deal behind Johnny's back and didn't even tell him she was doing it until it actually happend. Yes he iced her out after that and refused to speak to her again but she was far from innocent. He also kind of iced out Jay Leno too after that whole debacle. He was pro-lettermen right up until he died. his last public appearence was on Lettermen's show breifly.

He wasn't a perfect man. He cheated on his wives, he was very distant and he wasn't always there for his children when they were growing up. but there was a big heart there and it shined when he was on camera. Whither he was talking to Elizabeth Taylor or that lady who had the interesting shaped potatoe chips, he was great with all of them and most of the people loved going on his show.

• Members

It was more than that because Ed and Johnny worked together on "Who do you trust" and then Johnny brought him along on the Tonight Show. So it was many decades of friendship that lasted even after the show ended in 1992. I think he said when Johnny died that he talked to him about three weeks eariler. I think it was on the phone.

Ed died a very sad death.

• Members

I am old enough to have watched Carson and there will never be anyone like him. The guys on now are good, but Carson will always be the true king of late night. People talked about what he said in his monologue the next day at work and such.

I always had the impression that he was very private and distant/aloof off-camera. He seemed to be the type who had a few good friends instead of a gazillion not so close friends.

Archived