Vincent Irizarry Campaigns for Agnes Nixon for Kennedy Center Honors

• Members

Cady posted this on her FB. How brilliant would it be if it happened--while the Honours can be borderline pretentious, I always enjoy them every year and to see a segment on Agnes would be brilliant for her and he genre (though I admit I suspect it'll be a long shot).

http://www.examiner.com/article/vincent-irizarry-campaigns-for-agnes-nixon-for-kennedy-center-honors

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see it happening and am not sure she is even worthy. It's one thing to give it to someone like Lucille Ball who clearly changed TV comedy, or Norman Lear who did the same, but Agnes Nixon? What exactly was her impact? I love 80s AMC but I cannot think of why the Kennedy Center would honor any of the names mentioned.

• Members

I actually feel her impact, while it was never celebrated the way it would be for Lear, was as broad-reaching. Seriously (and yes, I know I'm very biased.) Maybe in a less direct fashion, but... Certainly I feel she is an American institution, and should be celebrated and recognized as such--not just with Daytime Emmy award that nobody cares about. You could easily make a compelling package for her award, IMHO.

Absolutely--as she always says. I daresay she improved I, however (and even much of what we think of when we think of Irna's shows was partly due to Agnes--ie helping to create ATWT, and writing so much of GL during its first two decades.)

• Members

I feel these institutions just view soaps as niche (and wholly escapist fluffy entertainment) that didn't serve to elevate American arts in any way, shape, or form, which is why I don't see a campaign for her (or any other daytime soap icon) being successful.

It's an elitist view, which has never served soaps well.

• Members

I think Agnes stories in the 60s and 70s genuinely were groundbreaking and paved the way for a lot of what we saw in primetime, and touched soap viewers in a way primetime probably couldn't, especially in that era. Women who were watching Bert deal with uterine cancer on GL could only tune into primetime and see Westerns, court shows, and wacky sitcoms.

I don't think it's going to happen though. But it's nice that a few actors are trying.

• Members

Well said, Carl--I agree.

And I agree, sadly, with both of the last comments that I seriously doubt it will happen. Still, I did follow Vincent' advice and enter my submission on their website. (Oy to whomever transcribed Vincent's interview in that link calling Irna, Erma... I found it entertaining that they kept asking Vincent if he was reading a script...)

• Members

I just tried reading some of this!!

it is IRNA Phillips NOT ERMA!!! They made Vincent sound like a buffoon! I can tell they were like "Eh, he's just a soap star. No use editing this because nobody REALLY cares about soaps!!"

Makes me soo angry!!

Archived