OLTL: Tuesday June 4, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

Again, a good character show for stuff with Todd/Dani/Dorian - that was fantastic - and the rather heartbreaking Matthew and Destiny scene. As always, any bit of attention from him and her strength falls to pieces. But Destiny's always been that way. I do hope to see Jeffrey bolster her spirits. Laura Harrier is still really rushing her lines, but she has a definite spark and naturalism (which can also be awkwardness) which I think can be nurtured with time. I'm anxious to see how she's doing by Block 2.

The Clint/Viki/Jeffrey stuff was good, but I hope the Pellegrino thing doesn't totally fizzle out. They've got a couple huge storylines like that and the evil organization which are just perpetually simmering while they do slow character work. I appreciate the time taken - since RC almost never took time for anything but his plotlines - but I think they need to start putting the pedal down a little bit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah Ron knows nothing about birth control or the morning after pill. Didn't we have Jessica, natalie and destiny all unexpectedly pregnant in a year?

The termination thing is tricky legally- Destiny could definitely try to have them terminated if she wanted Drew adopted but I think the Buchs (and Matthew's lawyer mother) would definitely talk Matthew into contesting that & would win. That would effectively end all of Matthew's obligations to Drew though. Voluntary termination outside the adoption context would be really tricky as a court would be super cautious about granting/enforcing that without Matthew doing something egegious and Destiny being the one who wanted the rights terminated. If Matthew wanted to terminate rights, it turns into a question of best interest of the child superseding Matthew's interests and while it varies from state to state, most courts would find it in Drew's best interest to be financially supported by his father who is likely coming into a sizeable trust at some point (even if Bo & Nora are writing checks on his behalf). A court of course can't force Matthew to be a present parent but they could (and likely would IMO) be unwilling to cut off his legal obligations. I am currently studying for the bar exam and thinking about the law in an OLTL context was the most fun I've had today. Sad.

Anyway, I don't think the termination stuff will play out on the show unless we have Des getting married to someone else down the road. They started finally showing us today that Matthew isn't totally indifferent to Drew & I expect we'll get more of that from her on out in a 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of thing.

• Members

It's so damn frustrating to watch Destiny still so into Matthew and Matthew so not into her. They're adults now. She should be past that. It's been 3 years since the finale. I would have preferred if Destiny started the show with a clean break and ready to see what else (who else) is out there. Instead she'll feel punched in gut watching Matt with Dani whether she's with Jeffrey or not. Shame.

There's this pic of Drew on the net while Matt/Des are arguing. The look on his face is perfect for the scene. I don't know if he was instructed to do that. I doubt it. But it worked so well for the context of the scene.

• Members

I did find some of the humour in the script odd or lacking. I didn't get what Dorian was doing ith the boa and the wig in the first scene (and what--the boa is like Kelly, the blond wig like Jessica? So onfused...) Similarly with the nail polish, they had a missed opportunity not giving some appropriate by typically ridiculous nail polish colour name for the ugly green Todd wore.

I thought it was a good episode overall though. I admit, I just wanted more--though I enjoyed all the scenes. At least the ending seems to be leading to something. OLTL seems to have suffered more from the 2 eps a week schedule, then AMC but it is probably just chance about where each show was at storywise when the cut was made. AMC, largely due to the Cassandra story seems to be moving quicker which woks better with just two episodes a week.

Destiny--falling asleep with your infant at the coffee shop? *shakes head* (and couldn't Matthew at least have given his son a hug or a peck on the forhead when saying goodbye?)

• Members

I enjoyed Todd/Dani/Dorian today as well. That was my favorite part of today and then probably Bo/Tea just because I like the characters and hope this story leads to a good payoff.

I can understand Matthew not wanting to be a "dad" but Destiny bugs me for the same reasons some other people have said. It's been three years. Is Matthew really the only guy in a college town that you want, when he is obviously not "dad" material! Subjecting your son to being around someone that feels as if you're a bother can't be helping the kid any. :-) If they pursue Destiny/Jeffrey, I hope it's so Jeffrey can show up Matthew in how to act like a father (even if Jeffrey isn't by blood). It seems Jeffrey had someone that mentored/took care of him like a father but wasn't his dad. If that then triggers Matthew to step up purely out of jealousy then I might be able to sit through this. MIGHT....

Still not a fan of Destiny. She does seem incredibly awkward and almost like she is over thinking how she SHOULD be doing the scenes instead of just doing them.

I could care less about David and his "reality show". Waste of time that could be spent on others. Wish we were getting more of Natalie and her evolving away from John (finally!) and Cutter along with whatever his deal is...

• Members

I got the Kelly gag immediately. I double-taked and went back and watched it with captions to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Kelly was known for her loud clothes and purple feather boas back when she first debuted, so I don't think it was a reach at all but a very clever joke.

The Jessie/blond wig comment was a bit of a reach, though.

• Members

That's true about the Boa. I guess I just didn't get why Dorian came in wih a shopping ba of these get ups, lol. Anyway--I did find it amusing, I just missed the delivery or something.

I guess Nicki Smith was known for red wigs (didn't Gillian Spencer wear blond wigs for Nicki due to having darker hair? I swear Iread they were a different colour.) I just mean a wig comment wuld make more sense wih Nicki Smith.

• Members

That pic where Drew is like holding is head is too funny.

Just my opinion but I'm not totally sure that Matthew is so not into her. Obviously he's not head over heels the way she is and he's definitely so not into being a dad (which should be enough to make her done with him I agree). But I think there's some feelings on his end too that he doesn't act on because where there's Destiny there's Drew and all the responsibility he doesn't want. I actually thought he was kind of into the idea of dinner with her until she reminded him Drew was part of that. I think the problem is we all have Matthew/Destiny 1.0 (who had sub-zero chemistry) in our heads but even with that, I feel like we don't really know exactly where that could have gone because it seemed to be maybe moving out of the friend zone but they got the double whammy coma/pregnancy like immediately. And I feel like that's why she's very stuck because she feels like she never got her shot to see where it would have gone and she has this kid who obviously reminds her of that. I liked today's stuff- I felt like there was a very classically soapy amount of longing/regret/what could have been/what could maybe still be between them. I don't see them as a happy family anytime soon but I'm not sure its totally dead on either end.

I'm really not super excited for Michelle- I think there's plenty of drama around Matthew with dani and destiny and Drew and working for Clint.

Archived