TV Writers Pick the 100 Best Written Series Ever

Khan

• Members

The show fell apart when it started taking itself so seriously. I don't know who told them that people saw these women as icons of feminism, but I don't believe that was the case. I also don't understand who told SJP that people wanted to see her as a serious actress. That's not what made her famous.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

YES, this was absolutely the show that was on my mind when I made my original post in this thread. Fantastic series in so many ways, and definitely a "writers" show. I love Sesame Street, but it's only on this list because it adds a unique blend of cuteness and pretentiousness.

I will say that Hitchcock's show being present is a pleasant surprise, because usually The Twilight Zone is considered the catch-all for that whole style of program.

• Members

Blah ... anti-soap bias, pro-white male bias, a bit pretentious (of course Downton Abbey had to be there), and glaring omissions. Star Trek gets No. 33 but no Doctor Who?

Not even The Waltons? Earl Hamner, Jr's vision was genius in almost every episode of that series, with brilliantly relatable, memorable, and humorous characters, and resonant life lessons.

• Members

Brideshead is one of my faveTV produtions ever--but I assumed it was due to being a miniseries (Roots, etc, didn't make it either and you'd normally see the there) which does make Band of Brothers an odd choice...

I enjoy DOwnton, but I relly think these lists should just count shows that are finished--otherwise it seems unfair (I didn't see it n the list--but was surprised the original Upstairs Downstairs wasn't there, unless I just missed it..)

• Members

Strong female characters? Good one, Mr. King, lol.

They might have started out that way. However, after about the third-or-so season, it seemed like not one episode went by that didn't have Carrie obsessed over Big, or Charlotte obsessed over having babies. (I realize I am oversimplifying things, but that it is how it felt to me.) And poor Miranda! There were times when I felt as if the writers were punishing her character for refusing to fall into the "marriage trap," as if it were criminal for her to want to choose her career or her sense of freedom over domesticity even with a "great" guy like Steve.

In retrospect, I don't know why in the hell Samantha stayed in touch with those simple bitches or what for.

• Members

I think the final shot of the series, with Carrie walking off into a crowded New York sidewalk, says everything. SJP and MPK must have had it in their minds that people watched the show all those years for Carrie and her on-again, off-again relationship with Big. Really, though, I think what most fans enjoyed about "Sex & the City" were the relationships among Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha. The message in THAT was 1) you don't NEED a man to create your "happily ever after," and 2) men can come and go, but the relationships you have with "your girls" are where it matters. IMO, it would have been much more appropriate to have the series end with the four gathered at the restaurant like they always do, just sitting and chatting about their (sex) lives, with the series fading out for the last time in mid-conversation.

• Members

I wish someone had found the happy medium between MPK's take on the show, which emphasized romantic and familial crises over female bonding; and Star's, which seemed sometimes to be little more than "Emmanuelle" movies sandwiched between gross conversations about the male and female anatomies.

• Members

I think it was Star Jones. Seriously. Before she started talking about them on "The View," I hadn't heard anyone else discussing the show OR its characters. In fact, at least one person (forget who) has argued that by the time S&TC had entered the mainstream, its original audience had moved on.

• Members

I dont think any of the shows on the list dont belong there. They were all, for the most part, well written good tv shows. Not to say there are not shows as worthy, or even more worthy of being on there, but i dont think theres a "WTF is this show doing on the list" even if i dont personally care for some of them.

Sex and the City absolutely deserves its spot, imo. No, it wasnt a perfect series and it wasnt the best of all time, but it was damn good, had a huge impact, and holds up today. The transition from kinda episodic to full on contentious stories was great, the characters remained who they were while evolving and growing, the lead was allowed to !@#$%^&*] up and the audience allowed to hate her at times.

• Members

IKR? IMO, the first five seasons of "The Waltons" were brilliant. Earl Hamner, Jr. is such a tasteful, classy writer, able to write from character and not from plot. I think the series lost a little something when Richard Thomas chose to leave after the 1976-77 season. Nevertheless, the last four seasons still had many solid episodes. (Although the less I say about Mary-Ellen's husband returning from the dead....)

Archived