TV Writers Pick the 100 Best Written Series Ever

Khan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it was a good show, but the fact that it was over-hyped made me think less of it. I wish the press would stop over-hyping shows that are good because then people tune in and are disappointed because they have this unattainable expectation.

I was glad Family Ties, Ad Fab, Faulty Towers, and Twin Peaks made the list!!!

• Members

The Sopranos is a great example of a show that makes people feel cool and special, so this wins out. Most writers are straight white guys, and they see this mob atmosphere, with all the angst, and all the hot women, and, for all the talk of a price, nothing truly bad ever happens to Tony (even the last scene is ambiguous).

I was a big fan of the Sopranos early on but lost interest when they became so molasses slow and ponderous in the second season. That improved a little, but not much. And it was fairly clear to me that the last 2-3 years only happened because David Chase was offered a boatload of money, not because he cared anymore.

Shows like Mad Men and Seinfeld also get a lot of hype for this reason.

I'm just glad that MTM and Taxi were as high on the list as they were, and that Oz made the list, although it should have been higher. Six Feet Under should have too. Again it's more about what makes people feel hip, not quality.

St. Elsewhere being that low is way off, IMO, and below Downton Abbey, which shouldn't even be on the list, since it's mostly a half-written blatherfest where people gawk at the costumes.

Why is Modern Family that high??? Why is it on the list at all? Why is Will & Grace on there at all??

I'm glad the Muppet Show and Laugh-In were included. Muppet Show is such a gem and it holds up well.

And I'm happy to see Soap on there. I really wasn't expecting that. The second season in particular is good TV, a perfect blend of humor and genuine soap opera.

After writing this I realized it was from writers, not critics, but my guess is it's the same issue with the WGA as it would be with critics. Hip, cool, angst-ridden white guys with lots of hot babes on their arms = quality.

• Members

It's about cool points, not quality. The show had some good moments, a good cast, a great lead (Seinfeld was and is a surprisingly slick comedian compared to most stand-up transitions to TV) but was always overrated.

I'm happy Everybody Loves Raymond was so far down the list. That was another one which got big hype once it became a hit.

The part about all the amazing TV since 2007 is a little odd since most of the shows on there went off before 2007, and aside from a few, most of the newer shows on there...not too great, IMO.

• Members

I'm not the biggest Seinfeld fan (I enjoy it here and there, but not my favourite show). However, I think it's rated fairly.

The show still enjoys immense success in syndication, ended its run on top (the #1 rated show during the 97-98 season), and DVD sales are among the biggest for any sitcom ever released.

I can see why it's overrated to some, but even without critics, the show is hugely popular with a more general audience too for whatever reason.

• Members

It's too bad Roseanne is that far down. The show went to hell but those first 4-5 seasons are some of sitcom's finest. I guess I know what that placement is about though, unfortunately.

I forgot to say I'm pleased Get Smart is on the list. The show seems to be relatively forgotten now, mediocre film aside.

Archived