TV Writers Pick the 100 Best Written Series Ever

Khan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't watched Friends that often (I am probably the only person in the world who hasn't), so I can't say.

The first few seasons of SATC are dated, but also fun. The third season, when they began taking themselves seriously, were a big mess. I don't know who decided that was a great idea. I wonder if it's on the list because of the New York atmosphere.

I would have never put SNL that high, even if the show had some great moments. I guess that may be another New York thing.

• Members

I agree. I love many of the choices, but mostly it feels like a "let's re-organize the same shows that are almost always mentioned." For example, I love love love the Herskovitz/Zwick family dramas, but I think ultimately Once and Again had better writing than thirtysomething--but thirtysomething is the much more well known show title wise, so...

• Members

You know what might be fun? Seeing if we could trade some of the shows that ARE on the list for ones that aren't. Because, looking at it again, not only do I see your point, AMS, but I also could think of some really good shows that didn't make it that should have.

• Members

Happy to see My So-Called Life made the cut! One season and still remembered and thought of as one of the best-written shows ever! The writing MADE that series.

HOWEVER, I have to say I'm disappointed that neither of my fave David Kelley shows, Ally McBeal and The Practice, made the cut. Both certainly deserved to be there.

Also, I wish people would remember/notice NewsRadio, one of the best written comedies of all-time.

• Members

I think David Kelley's egomania and the ugly underbelly of those shows (basically watching women starve themselves) overshadowed the rest as time passed.

That would take me ages, as there are so many good shows which should have been on there.

It's too bad Knots Landing isn't on there, although elitism made that impossible.

• Members

Unfairly- I didn't EVER feel either of those shows were about watching women starve themselves. They were madly inventive, wickedly interesting, beautifully twisted and imaginative shows. Any writer would recognize the profoundness of both series, especially Ally McBeal. John Cage is one of the most offbeat, complicated, and interesting characters ever imagined. The way that he put things and saw the world was so profound (I know, I already used the word, but it's true). To me anyway.

• Members

Nope, you aren't. :)

"Sex and the City"'s decline can be summed up in three words: Sarah. Jessica. Parker. The more powerful she became BTS, IMO, the worse the show grew. The show began as a satirical look at young, independent, professional women, living in an age and society where they could be as casual and non-commital about sex as men. Somewhere along the way, however, it became this improbable fairy tale about one alleged fashionista, her elusive d-bag of a Prince Charming and the non-stop drama on their inevitable way to the Happily Ever After.

And yet, because I tend to love continuing stories, I also tend to enjoy the last three or so seasons more than I do the beginning. Go figure, right?

• Members

One show (out of several) that I'd include on the list: "Homefront." Next to KNOTS LANDING, it probably was Lynn Marie Latham and Bernard Lechowick's finest hours as writer-producers.

• Members

I agree with whoever said Once & Again was better in terms of writing/3-D characters then Thirty something.

I think even a weak episode of MTM was heads above some of the current crop of comedies.

I would have put Knots Landing/Dallas on the list if both shows ended earlier then they did. Perhaps if Knots Landing ended by 1989, then I would rank it as a top 101.. and if Dallas had ended around 1985, I would rank it as well on the list.

I think I would have put Designing Women on the list over Friends.. especially since DW had five great seasons out of seven.. while Friends maybe had 4 great season out of 10.

Archived