Movies That Haven't Aged Well

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

Ever come across a movie that you loved/liked/appreciated back in the day, only to recently view it again and be underwhelmed?

In my case, it was

Basic+Instinct+1992+dvd+cover.jpg

which I'd seen earlier this afternoon for the first time since the 90s. What seemed titillating to me back then (I was 11 when it came out in the theater) is now just one-note at best and laughable at worst. Maybe it's my old age catching up with me or that the envelope has been pushed further since then, but this movie didn't age well to me at all.

Any other flicks come to mind, guys?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of the Hollywood comedies that involve men putting women in their place. Not that this is out of style in Hollywood today, but back when movies had real stars, not skidmarks like Ryan Reynolds or Channing Tatum or whoever, it hurts more to see this dynamic play out. Seeing true stars like Cary Grant or Spencer Tracy hogwild in ugly misogynist films, or to see real goddesses, true stars, like Katharine Hepburn or Rosalind Russell or Claudette Colbert, playing out these scenes. Today it's bimbos that get cast because they were on a hit TV show or because they're willing to take a non-role, so it's difficult to be as disappointed, or to feel anything.

• Members

I like to think I know my old movies, but what ugly movies were Cary Grant and Spencer Tracy in? And Carl, aren't you stacking the deck a little much to mention Cary Grant and Spencer Tracy only to forget about them, and then talk about "real stars" such as Rosalind Russel and Claudette Colbert? Both ladies catalog of films and careers cannot compare to the success Grant and Tracy had. I imagine most people could not mention an RR film outside of HGF and possibly Gypsy, and Claudette Colbert is one of those one-time stars now forgotten. Norma Shearer, Irene Dunne...there are a ton of one time stars who did not stand the test of time the way a Bette Davis or Katherine Hepburn did and will never be candidates for songs sung by Kim Carnes.

• Members

Some of the Katherine Hepburn movies with Tracy and Grant had some very sexist overtones (Cary grabbing her face and shoving her to the ground, all of the "woman has to realize she is inferior to a man" plots).

Rosalind Russell I listed because she was in quite a few movies in the 40s about women who had to realize their place.

I think Claudette had many popular films and some of them were very good, and I thought she was luminous, so that's why I listed her.

I wasn't saying Grant and Tracy were not "real stars." I meant the ladies were "real stars" compared to most of the major women in films now, as Grant and Tracy are compared to most of the major guys in movies now. Sorry for the bad wording.

• Members

Other flicks that haven't aged well in my eyes include...

live_and_let_die.jpg

Granted, I can say the same about damn near any James Bond flick, but I was shocked at how blatant this one was in pandering to the movie trend of the day to the point where I couldn't tell whether it was a James Bond movie or a garden-variety blaxploitation flick. Things that I hadn't noticed before as a kid (the straight-up misogyny and racism) were pretty damn impossible to shrug away when I'd rewatched it a few years ago.

shes_all_that.jpg

I initially enjoyed this movie when I'd seen it in the theatre in high school, but I can now see why it isn't the first flick that people mention when they reminisce about 90s teen flicks. While I remember it doing well at the theater (and briefly making a star out of Freddie Prinze, Jr.), it just doesn't have the same level of character development or comedic timing that the eclipsing movies (10 Things I Hate About You, American Pie, Cruel Intentions, etc.) do that make them a fresh breath of nostalgia - as opposed to being simply dated.

• Members

theres_something_about_mary_video_dupe3_

is another movie that hasn't aged well to me, which is disappointing considering that I loved this movie enough to watch it twice in the theater when it came out 15 years ago. I swore up and down that this movie would go down as one of the modern comedy classics of our time until I'd seen it a few months ago. Most of the jokes that were once funny as hell fell flat for me and I couldn't capture that fall-on-the-floor-laughing feeling that this flick once gave me.

Archived