Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Caught up. This show is beyond strange, dated, & awkwardly paced, but oddly enjoyable. I still like it. I can't get past the lighting/set design though. I really wish this had a more modern feel & look to it. The mansion just kills me.

Lol. Completely agreed.

He seems like a total control freak. Part of me commends him for directing/writing/exec producing all of the episodes, but I wish he'd hand the reigns over to different people for a change on this one. I'm shocked since he's voiced how adamant he is about bringing in new blood to work on the sets @ his production studio. You think he'd do the same on the pre-production end of things.

laugh.pnglaugh.png

2 reactions to this - I agree with him but isn't this kind of a dumb move to make? I don't think Tyler & his multi-million dollar prod company will be offering him any more employment! I would've kept my mouth shut. LOL.

LOL!

I said it from the first ep I thought that Actress was stiff/wooden as hell. She hasn't improved in the slightest. The worst!

laugh.png

Exactly!

I was astonished by the sudden change in her character. Really disappointed too because I really loved her friendship w/Hannah. She's disgusting & a bother to me now and I hope she gets written off. Not interested in her past affair with Jim. They should've just kept her character simple!

LOL.

About the extremely long scenes & pauses this show often has - I have to say as an editor, this show must be a total dream to edit. Seriously. I would be having so much fun with all the pauses, inserting in the best reaction shots & drawing out the mood.

• Members

Right.

But anyway, I agree with Eric83 that this would be better if it was under the pen of someone other than TP or if there was someone there to balance out his tropes. The idea itself isn't even anything new or Earth-shattering, and it really doesn't have to be, but damn, it's gotta at least be interesting for more than five minutes at a time (and I know I'm being generous). All that dead air could be used to help flesh these characters out, and I don't know...maybe get them out of the house for a change.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I can understand your point, and I apologize for being crispy. I can say personally, though, that I don't regularly watch. In fact, the two scenes I saw of Tuesday night's show were the first I've seen in a few weeks. I want to like the show, and I thought I would, and there are parts that I do like, but in the end, it's just not doing enough to keep me tuning in at all. I feel like I get what I need out of it by reading other people's comments on it.

• Members

It would have been wise to hire some soap person to at least co-HW or co-EP, I mean even the worst of the the ex-soap people could help with basic things like that--so far every setting looks basically the same...

It would have been wise to hire some soap person to at least co-HW or co-EP, I mean even the worst of the the ex-soap people could help with basic things like that--so far every setting looks basically the same...

• Members

Cool!

I'm not a major fan of TP. In fact, I truly hated a few of his movies, but for some reason, with all it's flaws, I like this show. I agree it needs a new writer just for simple continuity purposes.

On that note, I just can't with tjhat other show of his on OWN.

Edited by MontyB