GH: Discussion for the Month of March

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some more reactions/observations after having finished the week's worth of episodes, making six episodes I've watched since starting watching again ...

The dialogue on GH is highly stylized and clunky, not even remotely naturalistic. It's fine from a couple characters but half the show talks like that. It's the show's way of showing the eccentricity or unusual qualities of characters like Felix, Spinelli, Lucy, Ellie, Sabrina, Milo, Epiphany, Tracy, Dr Obrecht, and Helena -- and the only ones of those characters I actually dislike are Dr Obrecht and Milo -- so I don't fault them for it that much. But it's still noticeable. That stylized dialogue also feels very "Degrassi", a comparison which would usually be a good thing, but it's not as jarring on Degrassi.

Loved the song, didn't realize it was a real song from the 80s ... Also didn't realize Richard Simmons was actually on GH back in the day .. As others have already mentioned, loved the Amy Vining mention ... "Who's Frank Smith?" from TJ - hahaha! The "diva"/no compromise scenes were fine, but then when Lucy started going on about the theater leading to death, the scene fell apart for me. The Dancing With the Stars reference or whatever was too obscure for me (although I caught on eventually), and at first I was thinking this was some character Sam had really run into before

Thought we were going to see more of Michael talking to Patrick since the show had Michael ask how Patrick was doing, but they didn't show that. Also we did not get to see Michael and Carly with Bobbie -- maybe that's coming.

I still like Sabrina. "Magic Milo" is horrible for deleting Patrick's message. It could have been important!! I hope from that Michael Fairman interview about Sabrina's beauty underneath all the frumpiness, that that doesn't mean Sabrina will ditch the glasses and nerves and stuff for good. I think the glasses make her more relatable since I wear them too, and I'm also nervous like her.

I still find Liz kind of boring. I liked her catching AJ up on what had happened with her and Nikolas though.

Laura is getting on too well with Luke for my taste after he almost killed Nikolas. I can understand it is a crisis situation though for them. I liked Helena and I was glad she wasn't depicted as purely evil, showing concern for Nikolas, with even her threat to Alexis being out of love. It says a lot about how one-dimensional and ridiculous I feel Dr Obrecht comes across that even Helena seems a much more fleshed-out, human character in comparison to Obrecht. I felt more love from Helena threatening to slit her husband's bastard daughter Alexis's throat than I did from Dr. Obrecht slapping her own daughter "Britta."

Maybe some mob figure shot Nikolas and it was unrelated to Helena's kidnapping of Lulu. Or it was just a trigger-happy peon of Helena's like Luke said. I liked Alexis's talk to Nikolas -- good to know the show is still sticking to the roots of these characters as already established way back when I was watching in 1996/1997.

Scotty went for a walk, huh? ... Probably just for budget that they couldn't have Kin Shriner on for Friday, but what if there's more to it than that?

Like Rafe so far. He seems like a nice kid, although there is that dark side of him wishing he had those supernatural powers like Caleb because of him being bullied. I like TJ too though, a lot actually. Good teen triangle coming up apparently. I hope Shawn will show some more compassion for Rafe after his losing his mom, instead of immediately making him feel guilty.

Frisco/Felicia/Mac -- I wonder how long it will take for Felicia to choose. I guess Maxie told her dad the baby is really hers? I feel like Kristina Wagner has barely aged, wow!

I wonder if Spinelli and Ellie will discuss adoption (even without knowing about Spinelli and Maxie's baby, although Spinelli and Ellie's conflict is probably going to be the reason why Maxie tells the truth about her baby eventually). That would seem to be a reasonable compromise. I like that they both want to stick to their principles but still love each other.

About the cliffhanger .. Aha, so that's where Dante was!

All in all, the show is honoring its history, the stories are alright, and I like most of the characters, but there is a little too much stylized clunkiness and there's not enough variety in the characters featured. Several of the same characters have been on all six episodes I've watched, with others rotating.

Of the soaps I'm watching (DAYS, Coronation Street, GH), GH is the weakest, but GH is still getting a lot right and I will continue to watch. I continue to think the show is in good hands.

• Members

Don't you guys think it's sad that some people around here feel the need to present themselves as something the rest of us clearly know they aren't. I mean, we do read the magazines and can go to Daytime Dish ourselves.

I'm tired of this fuckery. I think everyone is. So, come out and play. Bring it on "old" man!

Archived