Silver Linings Playbook - Spoilers included

JackPeyton

• Members

You guys, I have to talk about this movie. I am not normally one for the award show hype train or anything, and while liking oscar nom movies i rarely love them to this point.

This is one of my favorite movies ever. I have seen it twice and can not wait to own it. Jennifer Lawerence has impressed me and shown a range in Winers Bone and even Hunger Games & The House at the end of the Street but she really surprised me here. I didnt see Jlaw playing a character, her character - Tiffany Maxwell - came to life. She made me laugh, she made me cry, she made me root for her, and she made me hate her at times. She played this complicated girl with all this depth and emotions so well. She never went over the top, she never seemed like she was trying to hard - actually, it just seemed effortless. Bradly Cooper is not a favorite of mine by any means, in fact ive found him so overly hyped in recent years he was my main issue going into this, but he really brought it. His character is crazy, just out of a mental institution, and has a lot of outbursts in the film but he also never went over the top, he played it straight and for emotion and it worked.

The two of them coming together, fucked up and not well liked by their town was amazing because it built. The night she meets him she offers to !@#$%^&*] him if he keeps the lights off and he wont bcause he doesnt want to cheat on his ex wife he is determined to win back. She offers to help him by delivering a letter to the woman, her sisters friend, for him and blackmails him into entering a dance comp with him. They become friends, slowly, and work together and forge this great bond and you see her fall in love with him and you know the letter she gives him isnt from his wife, but her.

This scene was great and I found a gif of it. I love it because Tiffany knows shes fucked up. She knows shes a slut. She knows it isnt socially acceptable and while she doesnt exactly love that it is the only perception of her, she owns that its a part of her. She isnt denying it like he is with his mental issue.

tumblr_mgljhpAfXx1qd0355o1_250.gif tumblr_mgljhpAfXx1qd0355o2_r1_250.gif

I felt that her character helped him accept his illness while his character helped her realize she is allowed to be happy. I just really like that and while it sounds really simple and basic there were so many emotions involved.

Then there are the performances by Jackie Weaver & Robert DeNiro who are just truly fantastic and the epitome of great supporting players as the parents. The father/son issue is so realistically done and the reveal that the mother tipped Tiffany off as to his jogging trail was cute. The scene where Tiffany goes off on his father was also an amazing one as she laid out how his team does best when he is with her and not him and the eventual double bet of the game and the dance competition and his figuring out she wrote the letter.

Chris Tucker is hilarious in this as the friend to.

Oh, and the finale - where she sees his wife show up at the dance and that her sister invited her along and how crushed she was and how he ran after her when she bolted after the dance. Just great. truly.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This movie was absolutely incredible, and it made me relate to my own issues. Jennifer Lawrence is a revelation in it, and the finest actress of her generation. She is completely deserving of the Oscar and I hope that she gets it.

• Members

I am SO glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. Your post pretty much sums it up for me, William. I went in with huge expectations as a huge J-Law fan, and I came out having gotten more than I ever expected. Jennifer Lawrence is just absolutely amazing. Truly the greatest actress of her age range, I believe. I could definitely see her being a Meryl type.

Archived