Eurovision Song Contest 2013

Huntress

• Members

Following Loreen's win with "Euphoria" at the 2012 edition in Baku, Azerbaijan, the 58th Eurovision Song Contest will take place in Malmö, Sweden, in May 2013. Again, there will be three shows: Two semi-finals (May 14th and May 16th) and the big final (May 18th).

1st semi final

• Austria
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Ireland
  • Lithuania
  • Moldova
  • Montenegro
  • Netherlands
  • Russia
  • Serbia
  • Slovenia
  • Ukraine

2nd semi final

• Albania
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bulgaria
  • Finland
  • Georgia
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Israel
  • Latvia
  • Macedonia
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Switzerland

Automatic finalists

• France
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom

These countries will not take part:

• Andorra (last entry in 2009)
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina (last entry in 2012)
  • Czech Republic (last entry in 2009)
  • Monaco (last entry in 2006)
  • Poland (last entry in 2011)
  • Portugal (last entry in 2012)
  • Slovakia (last entry in 2012)
  • Turkey (last entry in 2012)

ESC 2012 RECAPS

First semi-final

Second semi-final

http://youtu.be/cramuIA1IWU

Grand final

Loreen's winning performance

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The first country has picked its entry for Malmö: Alyona sings "Rhythm of Love" for Belarus.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FmkrrSFe2w?version=3&amp;hl=de_DE"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FmkrrSFe2w?version=3&amp;hl=de_DE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FmkrrSFe2w?version=3&amp;hl=de_DE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

However, as it is usually the case with Belarus, the song and even the singer might be changed before the contest. In 2012, Alyona also won the national pre-selection but was later disqualified and replaced with the band Litesound who went to Baku instead. So far, Belarus has qualified for the grand final only twice, in 2007 (their only top 10 placing) and 2010 (second-to-last place).

• Members

Portugal is not participating? That's kind of a surprise, I wonder what the explanation is for it? I truly wish they would re-instate the native language rule. The pandering to english has always bothered me, I feel it spoils the international flavor of the contest. I find it sad that Monaco has all but given up on the contest. I realize their only win was Severine's in 1971, but I still wish they would keep trying. I found it odd that they also declined to host the 1972 contest. If they had done that, I feel their status in the contest might have carried better in the future. Huntress... do you see any possiblity of poitical bias rearing it's ugly head in the contest this year? I'm not well versed on all the political minutae in Europe and the Mediterranean regions. BTW... Lithuania and Moldova still remain my favorites from 2012. I think Lithuania would have fared better with a stronger singer, the song was wonderful. I'm gonna have to look these places up, 30 years ago, I knew where EVERY country in the world was. Now, there are dozens that I have no clue as to their locations or what they used to be.

• Members

The official reason for Portugal's withdrawal – just like Poland's last year – is money problems due to the Euro crisis. Strangely enough, Greece can afford participating whistling.jpg

I guess bitterness over bad results is the real reason. Portugal has a very bad record at Eurovision, and their best result is a 6th place in 1996. Portugal's problem is that they always sent sweet, but too old-fashioned songs. From the last ten years, I only liked their 2008 entry "Senhora do Mar" – which however was too similar to "Molitva", 2007's winning song from Serbia (even the performance was a rip-off), so it placed outside the Top 10.

Moldova and Lithuania are both former republics of the Soviet Union. Lithuania is located at the Baltic Sea, and Moldova is a rather small country in the Southeast. It was once a part of Romania and both countries usually swap their 12 points – just like Greece+Cyprus or Turkey+Azerbaijan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ukraine: Zlata Ognevich / "Gravity"

Switzerland: Takasa / "You and Me"

Belgium: Roberto Bellarosa / "Love Kills"

Lithuania: Andrius Pojavis / "Something"

Albania: Adrian Lulgjuraj ft. Bledar Sejko / "Identitet"

• Members

The singer for Belgium does not impress me... for some reason, male singers today have this habit of singing in this grating kind of forced whisper, and they are all basically imitating each other. It drives me nuts. The Lithuanian entry sound straight out of the 80's... it's not half bad, but it does sound very dated to me (Which I like... but I know won't garner favor in the contest.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived