DRW50

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Capaldi is so great in The Hour and Torchwood: Children of Earth. Both very hearty, emotional, and tragic roles.

I liked Matt a lot - Tennant not as much - but I'm pleased that perhaps the romantic angles between the Doctor and his female companions will be played down. Preferred Rose when she was with the Ninth Doctor and she wasn't mooning over him.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Man, I keep forgetting how moving and dignified Eccleston's regeneration into Tennant was. I always forget and it always gets to me.

I'm hoping Smith's regeneration is more like Eccleston's rather than Tennant's. Though I wouldn't mind a very brief glimpse at the Ponds for "old times sake."

• Members

Tennant's was garbage in every way. Even he apparently objected to it.

Moffat never seems to know how to do endings so I'm not holding my breath for a good one. We'll see. I will miss Matt. I don't think I will care for Capaldi's Doctor with Clara. I wish she was going.

Doctor Who female companions (from the new series) talk.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/sep/28/doctor-who-companions-billie-piper-catherine-tate-karen-gillan

• Members

"Before I go, I just wanted to tell you you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And you know what?... So was I." And that soundtrack...

DEAD. DEADER THAN DEAD.

Like I said, I keep FORGETTING and it GETS me right in the gut every single time.

Honestly, I think Tennant's regeneration was not only the Tenth Doctor, but it had the added dubiousness of being RTD and being David Tennant and by the time we got halfway through the emo git's victory lap, I was just screaming, "Bored now! Bring on the Moff and the Eleventh!"

But as much as we were robbed only having Paul McGann on-screen for a mere two hours or so, we were also robbed only having Eccleston for a mere thirteen episodes.

And am I the only who's dreading the Tenth Doctor's turn in The Doctors Revisited? I'm kind of Barrowman'd out as well. I love that Barrowman has so much fun with these things, obviously loves Doctor Who and Captain Jack and is grateful for every last bit of it, but I found some of his "insights" on the 9th Doctor Revisited to be really off-base, especially the continuing crapping-on of my poor heroic Mickey (he and Martha really have to be the MOST dumped-on of NuWho Companions). Then again, that's not really fair of me, I guess, because he's such a fanboy too.

Edited by katie_9918

• Members

And the fact that two of those thirteen featured the horrifying Slitheen.

Loved Captain Jack in "The Empty Child" when Barrowman was still hot and had a lot of natural charisma, but he got tired really quickly. He was always the weak acting link on Torchwood. Barrowman is clearly a great ambassador for the franchise, but I'm sick of him hating on Eccleston and slobbering over Tennant.

• Members

Barrowman tends to get on my nerves in anything but limited doses. He's been interviewed in almost every special. I get why he's interviewed for this one but I feel like I've heard it all before. I rolled my eyes when he tried to present Jack as some sort of cool gunslinger, when Jack mostly just followed Rose and the Doctor around with puppy dog eyes.

I rolled my eyes at some of the special. Not every Doctor before Eccleston just fussed over experiments. Rose was not the first companion to have her family on the show. She wasn't the first to save the Doctor. And the continued pushing of pansexuality or bisexuality as shocking and wild is offensive and harmful. They didn't even remember that the Doctor was blase about the whole thing, which you should be. And the special kind of minimized just how horrible the show's treatment of Mickey was.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

When it comes to Doctor Who, I've only seen the modern series from series 3 to present day (except the Titanic movie, which wasn't available.) I only started watching the Doctor over the summer. I've never seen the Eccleston episodes, so I'm watching them as they are being reran on BBCAmerica weekday mornings at 8 am. I wonder if the anti-Eccleston comments come from how he was with the show for solely 13 episodes though that could just be Barrowman being Barrowman.

Thanks for sharing that interview with the companions.

• Members

Inappropriate behavior is one of the reasons Eccleston left the show, supposedly (he felt like the extras were being mistreated by a director).

I barely tolerated and generally hated almost all of Eccleston's run until the last two or three episodes. And this special mostly reminded me why. Overwrought, manipulative, hollow, false, plastic, overacted, the works.