Anyone else CRINGE when people diss the SOAP genre without watching a single episode?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand why people wouldn't want to watch soaps considering the way they are now, but i do wish that i could find more people to talk about soaps to other than my mom, I think i'm one of the only ones that watches them in my neighborhood. LOL

BTW, I love that Agnes Nixon interview! I know people complained about the interviewer not really doing her research and asking her weak questions, but Agnes still was able to provide so much information that you really take in to heart. She makes you want to go back to watch old AMC/OLTL episodes on youtube. I always found her interview better than Bill Bell's interview, even though i think they took that one down!

• Members

I went through a brief period where I was embarassed to admit to watching a soap. In fact, I ended up online because I didn't know anyone personally who watched soaps except some former co-workers and my grandmother who watched CBS soaps. Anytime I encountered someone who did watch a soap it was always Y&R which I wasn't watching.

People who didn't watch soaps would make that "you waste your time watching that rubbish" face as if everything they watched was of superior quality. Okay maybe ti was. Anyway, I stoppted trying to justify why I was wasting my time on that rubbish since it was my time to waste.

• Members

My other Professor (not the one mentioned) was a huge AMC fan. I found out she was after a paper I wrote and she commented on it. Then we discovered our lunch break was at the same time (after her class) so we would talk about the previous day's episode while we ate!!! Since the show cancelled our friendship really grew. The only thing we disagree on is Susan Lucci. She hates her and I love her!!! Anyway, she has the same opinion about soaps that I do. We believe that just because soaps are in the daytime and that they have low production value (directing/editing mainly) doesn't mean the story content is bad. Actually, I believe it is better since they are in real time. I also believe daytime actors are the hardest working.

Archived