Y&R: MAB OUT! Hamner OUT! JFP IN! Griffith IN! Sheffer UNKNOWN!

• Members

I don't recall Rachel ever being used well. RC brought her back to prop her brother. According to this interview RJ never had a hot love scene.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/03/stickney3.html.

Wasn't OLTL said to be the soap Frons did the least amount of micromanging on? Keri went crazy, Vange was rendered comatose after almost being killed by a racist, Layla was backburned until the actress left. Antonio got polarizing writing until Kamar left.

Back on track what big stories was Sally behind her last stint on Y&R?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was mostly involved in Sheila's crap return story, as mentioned, particularly responsible for Sheila poisoning Lauren through a damn necklace...

She takes credit for Nick/Phyllis, but that's not true, as Jack Smith has said multiple times that was his idea and I tend to believe him more.

Sally told FrenchFan in that now infamous interview that was she was never in contention (to her knowledge) to take over the show. Maybe she was just saving face because she wasn't chosen?

• Members

Y&R had a ton of OTT camp the last time it reinvented itself in such a major way (the early '80s, with psycho Eve, Katherine gaslighting Suzanne, Victor keeping Michael prisoner), but they seemed to treat this very seriously. Now soaps don't know how to do camp - it's always done as a joke, a lewd wink. And the actors can't pull it off. If Michelle Stafford played camp today she'd be like Joan Crawford circa Trog.

As for OLTL, there wasn't a black family written out, but Claire Labine had tried to build up a black presence, with increased conflict between Hank and RJ, RJ's girlfriend Jacara (who had her own club, complete with a transgender bartender/mixologist) fought with Hank's girlfriend Carlotta. Hank and Carlotta had a few scorching love scenes, which neither had had before, IIRC. Rachel didn't have a lot to do, and was miscast, but was allowed to date, having a brief story with Henry Simmons.

All that was shut down very abruptly, and I felt like the way Rachel was treated was dehumanizing. Although at least they did bring her back, with the proper actress, for some guest shots.

• Members

Maura West should have never been playing Diane in the first place. From the moment she was cast, I knew they had no plans for her.

Nick/Phyllis is a disastrous relationship that has eaten away at the core of this show for years. I hope Jill hates them and totally decimates them they way she did to Nora and Bo at OLTL.

• Members

I've seen that interview but it's not entirely accurate. IIRC, in the later years, he had love scenes with Florencia, one with Renee Goldsberry, and (ugh) Barbara Niven. Unfortunately these scenes were few and far between.

I'm not defending JFP, who I hate - I think she is no advocate for minorities. But unlike some HWs and EPs, she is not openly disdainful. She did humiliate Rachel and write her out when the unfortunate Sandra Grant was in the role, but she later brought back Ellen Bethea.

Oh, he did plenty over the years.

• Administrator

Y&R writes about 2-2.5 months in advance if we use Chris Whitesell's departure as a reference. Whitesell was hired at DAYS in early April and his last on air breakdown at Y&R was June 11.

She sure does. Here's what she said in FrenchFan's interview:

Archived