Fiona Hutchison Fans Discussion: Gabrielle or Jenna????

• Members

It's been way too long since I posted anything at all on the SON Forums. I selfishly read them to excess daily and enjoy the information, insight, opinions, and visits back to 'soap yesteryear.'

It has been rather apparent to me that Fiiona Hutchison maintains quite a bevy of fan support here throughout SON. This thrills me, as Fiona Hutchison is my persoanal ALL-TIME Favourite Daytime Diva. I have, like so many others here, adored her work & beauty since 1987 when she lamented her love life to her Abuela in Argentina~ (On OLTL) of course.

I hope to encourage, invite, begin a new topic for Grande(wink) discussion regarding Fiona, her Characters, Gabby or Jenna alike. How many other fans still treasure this unique lady's talents and contributions to her Daytime Shows? How many people prefer Gabrielle Medina to Jenna Bradshaw? Or Jenna to Gabrielle? How many still love thinking back to the years when Fiona worked daily with the likes of Andrea Evans? They were 'kinetic energy' on screen together!!!!

How is it that Fiona was never awarded an Emmy for Gabrielle in 1991? Or even in 2004 for her work after Al's death aired? The scenes she shared with Erika Slezak just after Al's death just stunned me! Was Fiona instantly well-received and popular in her role as Gabrielle? I seem to recall that she was quickly recognised for her exotic beauty in S.O.D. These are but a few of the questions I can only hope/anticipate that get discussed here within this thread..... Long Live Gabrielle & Jenna~

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I imagine that Fiona was popular from early on, since she drove so much story.

The first time I saw Fiona was on GL. I had very mixed feelings. I enjoyed Jenna's bonding moments with Henry (who at one time she thought was her father), but I was bored and annoyed by her relationship with horrendous Buzz, which took up endless airtime and which perpetually used one of my favorite characters, Nadine, as a desperate third wheel. I stopped watching the show in part due to this storyline.

When Fiona came back a few years later, I did grow to care about her more, as she and Buzz were a little more tolerable and she looked luminous. Unfortunately she had no storyline and was then killed off.

Most of her second OLTL run she didn't look that great and she just seemed to be missing spark. When I saw her first run, on Youtube, I was entranced by her, as she had such charisma and insane energy, and fury, and frenzy - she took you to places no one else could go.

I'd say that her first OLTL run was her best and then her second GL run.

• Members

I first saw her on GL as well. At the time I really loved the way she was dressed...

I loved early Jenna before Buzz. When she and Buzz started circling around each other, I could immediately feel the energy sucked right out of the character (Buzz and Justin Deas had a tendency to do that). JFP actually offered the role of Jenna to her without an audition at the time, the role was created specifically for her.

That said, I think she did some of her best acting work as Jenna, particularly during the downfall of Jenna's marriage to Roger Thorpe. Though, I think she was at her most "fun" during her first run at OLTL in the late 80's.

Even though I hated her with Buzz, I absolutely hated the way they killed Jenna off during her second run. That was when I started to really miss her.

I do think she was perhaps most "propped" as an actress during her first run at GL, and I never felt she was all that appreciated for her work on OLTL (by the show at least). It's too bad that both OLTL and GL wasted her on her returns and killed her characters off for no apparent reason.

• Members

This was not a particularly great time for GL, but I think some of Fiona's best work was in the 1994 Christmas episode when Jenna called Vanessa to let her know that she had given birth.

There's a great tenderness and strength to Fiona's acting in this. 7:16 in.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HIo_FykPB1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

The 1994 Christmas episode was Fiona's last on GL until 1996.

The material I enjoyed Fiona doing the most was her first stint at OLTL as Gabrielle. That was just a lot of fun as it was full of angst and sexy.

I didn't watch OLTL anymore by the time she came back, though I did pick it up again later. I tried to watch again when she returned, but it didn't click for me. While I was beyond glad she had a job again as GL fired her, I didn't like anything that was happening on OLTL, so I bailed. If they had really given Max and Gabrielle another chance I would have been willing to fast forward to see that. That said, I was glad I never had to see Al or Gabby die as reading about it angered me enough.

I didn't see enough of her short stint on ATWT to comment.

When it comes to GL, I preferred her second stint to her first in some ways. Part of it could have been the residual feelings of missing Gabby, and feeling frustrated that she wasn't on OLTL anymore as the reason Fiona left was about money (ABC had a salary cap in those days of sorts.) Jenna was only supposed to be short term, but I did appreciate some relationships the character had more than others. I didn't care for Buzz and Jenna when they were together in 93-94 (though I did like the scenes where she miscarried Roger's baby), but when she came back in 1996 I did. Something changed in the writing or acting or something. In Fiona's first stint, I appreciated her relationship with Henry and Michelle especially.

• Members

I went how many days without going to this board and NEVER saw this thread? Yikes, I really AM trying to focus on moving and starting my new job in a few weeks wink.png .

To be honest, I've seen very little of her as Jenna and only a tiny bit of her as Celia. I am a primary OLTL fan and Gabrielle is my favorite character (along with Blair--as in Cramer, not Warner wink.png ), so I of course will choose her by default, although I get the feeling I may still choose her even after watching her other roles more extensively.

I'm a bit of an anomaly, though--I first saw her when she came back to OLTL, and first saw her older clips as Gabrielle on the old Fiona Fest fan site (as I wasn't born when she was first on the show), and more of them later on YouTube. As much as I always liked her during her second run (ESPECIALLY when she and Max became friends again in 2003), I don't know if I would have become as big of a fan as I did without seeing the older clips, too. There's just something about Gabrielle that's so special, so unique--there's no one else quite like her.

As for the Emmy issue:

I truly believe that, had OLTL not had a reputation for far out plots in the late 80s, and perhaps hadn't fallen so much in the ratings by the time she left in 1991, she would have absolutely been recognized for her work on the show, no question. The scene where she tells God off in the church after Max's "funeral?" COME ON! Of course! As it is, many people are only now recognizing just how great a character she was--and IMO, she STILL isn't recognized enough.

Still, I'm happy she got nominated the one time she did on GL.

Also, I really want to make a gif of her final "twirl" on OLTL in 1991 with the hat. Just a great, great moment. So Gabrielle. smile.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxsXX4dHAmk

ETA: It looks like I will be passing the crown dedicated to SON's biggest Fiona fan tongue.png .

Archived