Academy Awards 2012

dragonflies

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is why I dont like watching. The Oscars is just pure politics. Hell all awards shows are but Oscars are the frontrunners. The ones that win are the ones I have never heard of before. They always pic the movie that has a social message and bam they are the winner. It has nothing to do with the best.

• Members

It depends on the year I guess. The Artist is more of a prestige win. In previous years, The Help would have won everything, since it tells a story that Hollywood sees as edgy - ie, Crash (racism is bad! Sandra Bullock hates racism so much she hugged her maid!) Some year, Bridesmaids might have won, because it's seen as hip - look everybody, women can do dirty things too, we're shocked.

Is he the guy who used to be on Jay Leno's show?

• Members

Don't they always do that? There are a few "big" winners people actually see (Gladiator, Lord Of The Rings) but overall they usually go for the underrated under dog film that talks about history and socio-poltics

The Kings Speech

The Hurt Locker

Crash

Slumdog Millionaire

or they go for the dreary emotional drama

A Beautiful Mind

The Departed

No Country For Old Men

Bridesmaids would never win because it's a comedy and the Academy hates comedies. The Oscars always award films that are "different" without being completely off the wall/out there art house projects.

• Members

I need to start paying my SAG dues so I can get free movies again, I haven't seen ANYthing. ph34r.png I still wish Eddie Murphy would have hosted.

I guess I'm most interested in seeing the outcome of former Doubt co-stars Davis and Streep.

Archived