Murder She Wrote discussion thread

BKuzak

• Members

With the Murder She Wrote TV movies comming out on DVD in February, i've been buying a few of the seasons and watching them again. There is something about the show that still appeals to me. I remember watching it with my grandmother and it's even better now because i'm older and when i see an episode i haven't seen before, i try to pick out the person who was is the murderer before Jessica solves it.

it's a show that ran for 12 seasons, starting in the mid 1980's and going into the mid 1990's. The only reason why it ended was because for the final season they moved it from it's comfortble sunday night time slot to Thursdays when it was up again Friends which was the most watched television show at the time. Angela Lansbury who played Jessica was furious about it. I guess at the end they tried to move it around and back to it's old night but by then it was done. The good thing was that the TV movies that ran from the late 1990's to the early 2000's were highly rated. I wish there would be another one but i don't think there will be.

Did anybody else watch it when it was "live" in the 80's or 90's. I actually think i watched it on Thurdays with my grandmother. but it could have been sundays. it was a good show where you would watch and then go to bed. it was "murder she wrote" but they didn't have any graffic murders and at the end you usually saw Jessica happily talking and laughing with someone.

I think I saw it on TV Land recently. I know it was on the hallmark movie channel for a long time.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched back in the 80s and 90s. I loved and still do love the show. I have all the seasons on DVB and already preordered the movie collection. The show is currently on TVLand at noon with back to back episodes. I have so many episodes that I love. I love the one with Angela as a courtroom juror....Michael Swan appears on that one and so does Vicki Lawerence. There are too many good ones to post them all here. I too try to guess who the killer is. I had forgotten most of the episodes except for the one I metioned above.

• Members

One of my favorites was "If it's thurdays it must be beverly" about the (day player) deputy's wife was murdered and you found out the guy had been sleeping with all the women in town (except Jessica.) then at the end when the last woman came forward Sherrif Tupper quietly said something like "Oh! even the Lord rested on the seventh day!" It has to be one of the funniest lines of the whole 12 seasons...for me.

I also liked the case of the last flight of the Dixie Dampsel. It was about the aircraft her husband Frank had been on back in the 1950's. you got to know a little bit about Jessica's past with frank. soap star Robin Strasser was in it so that made it even more fun.

• Members

I didn't like the "book ends" that they did in the 6th season. I think they did a few in the 7th too but not as many. I watched the show for Jessica. I know Angela was tired but i thought it sucked when they would have Michael Haggerty or others do the whole episode.

I liked the cabot cove ones too because her house was so cute and the people were all a little off. I also liked how Doctor Seth and Amos were almost in competition over Jessica, espeically when Jessica was having dinner at her house with Seth and Amos would show up. It lost that when Amos left because Mort had a wife and only liked "Mrs. F" as someone friendly. but i did also like it when she went out, especially when they had fancy parties that she went to and you saw her in beutiful dresses. then in the final few seasons they gave her an apartment in New York. So they would have her abroad in one episode, Cabot Cove in another and then New York in another.

• Members

I did like Harry Mcgraw though. Jerry (RIP) and Angela worked very well together. She obviously liked him because she had him on the show on several occasions and he even was spun off to his own show for a breif time "The law and Harry Mcgraw" but it just didn't work without Jessica i guess.

Archived