Soaps that were broadcast LIVE

• Members

One of Prinz's most vivid examples of going toe-to-toe with Irna was when she was starring in Two for The Seesaw in Chicago. "At the time, one of our writers was Billy Bell." She is referring to William J. Bell who went on to create The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful. His wife, Lee, was doing a fifteen-minute-a-day talk show in Chicago. "I was traveling with my schnauzer, Murray. Lee suggested we open the spot with Murray sitting on my lap. Murray turns his head and sees a dog in the monitor. He went crazy and started yapping. Lee and I kept laughing. We were having all this fun. I did not have my foot out the studio door when Irna called. She was furious. 'You have destroyed the character of Penny. She is a recent widow.' Neal Wade, my onscreen husband, had just died on the show. Irna only wanted me to grieve. I replied that I was in a play where my character slept with dozens of men. Was I supposed to do that in my real life? When Irna suggested I was being silly. I said 'Irna you bore me' and hung up. Irna was not used to being hung up on. Her poor assistant called me right back. Irna was certain that there was a problem with the phone."

This one cracked me up LOL.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some famous live bloopers I have read about.

EON

Instead of the line 'Are you calling me a crooked cop?',the actor said 'Are you calling me a crooked c*ck? and everyone broke up.

Secret Storm

Instead of the line 'She's a bit of a witch,the actress said a 'whit of a bitch'.

Love of Life

After a scene in the park with some pigeons included for realism,the action switched to a living room but the pigeons flew in and the actor ad libbed 'I must remember to close the window'

• Members

My favorite is always the First Love story which Prinz said was untrue (the "Chris crapped...on a plane" story.)

And Another Man's Family, when the man was supposed to be on a plane, forgot his lines, and opened the plane door, walking out!

The infamous "I just balled your son in the hallway" should be on there too.

• Members

To me, it was always a thrill to have the announcers of ATWT and The Edge of Night say that the shows were done LIVE. Believe it or not, I would have a stop watch and time the various scenes, serving as an 'honorary stage manager,' so to speak. I miss those days so very much.

Archived