Ratings from the 60's

• Members

Maybe this was temporary. I guess shows fluctuated a lot more back then. I looked up the synopsis and not a whole lot was happening. Susan was still waiting to go to trial and Bill was in Pine Grove plodding along. I think the action heated up more once the trial got going and Mickey and Laura started getting closer which was just after this ratings period. I would be interested if the show rebounded toward the end of summer. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know I'm biased because she's my favorite, but Bill Bell himself said that Susan Seaforth taking over the role of Julie (in December 1968) made a big difference in Days gaining popularity.  I don't think the previous Julies could hold their own with Denise Alexander.

Edited by jam6242

• Members

That's exactly how I feel about the soaps overall. I was fortunate enough to see them in their glory days of the 1960s and (particularly) 1970s, with brilliant writers at the helm, so it spoiled me and I simply cannot accept or even really tolerate the dreck that is being produced nowadays. Going from William J. Bell and Pat Falken Smith to Ron Carvilati? 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I didn't even get to see those years but still prefer them. I grew up with the 80's/90's, which still had some good things going for it, and I consider it the silver age of soaps. I think the day that white Ford Bronco screamed down a Los Angeles highway was the beginning of the end. I would say O.J/Melrose Place/JER Days all led to the death of daytime serials and those three events all hit their stride around the same time 94 - 96. 

I will give an exception to Y&R, only because I know Bell's illness would have contributed to that shows decline and he would have been getting symptoms by 1995 at the latest.

Edited by will81

• Members

Week ending May 29 1961

1. The Guiding Light 10.1

2. Search for Tomorrow 9.0

3.As The World Turns 9.0

4. The Millionaire reruns 7.6

5. The Verdict Is Yours 7.6

6. Concentration 7.3

7. Face the Facts 7.1

8. Love of Life 7.0

9. Price is Right 6.7

10.Edge of Night 6.6

Guiding Light at no 1, outscoring it's lead in SFT and ATWT, #1 soap at that time.

I've read elsewhere that ATWT began a weekly run(unbroken) as #1 soap in 1960 but these ratings say otherwise. One explanation is that these are Arbitron figures and  it was Neilsen ratings that were most referred to.

• Members

True. I think too that reporting for anything pre 70's is rather sketchy, since the interest in ratings and other facts regarding soaps was low. Even anything pre-90's is still sometimes difficult to get a handle on even with higher interest and all the soap magazines and such being around. 

Looking at the seasonal ratings, during 60-61 ATWT was only half of a ratings point ahead. This suggests to me the race was a much closer one week to week during this period. In 61-62 ATWT zooms ahead of GL by almost 2 points for the overall season, so it seems more likely the uninterrupted run occurred around 1961 but maybe around summer or after. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

October 1965

1. As The World Turns 13.0

2. Secret Storm 11.0

3. Password 10.8

4. Houseparty 10.8

5. Guiding Light 10.6

6. Search for Tomorrow 10.4

7. Edge of Night 10.3

8. To Tell the Truth 9.8

9. Love of Life 9.3

10. CBS News 3.25 9.3

11. Dick Van Dyke 9.1

12. Andy Griffith 7.6

13. Match Game 7.4

14. You Don't say 7.1

15. CBS News  12.45 7.1

16. NBC News 4.25  6.7

17. Another World 6.4

18. General Hospital 6.3

19. The Doctors 6.1

20. Jeopardy 5.6

AW beating GH which earlier had been the clear winner b/w the 2 and even worrying CBS who instituted changes on To Tell the Truth to bolster its ratings.

I wonder if losing Roy Thinnes as Phil was a factor in GH dropping a little.

Of course the next rating report could be very different as ratings fluctuated more back then.