Ratings from the 60's

• Members

I don't know where else to ask this, but I don't think it needs it's own thread, so I'm hi-jacking this one!

Does anyone know what soap operas silent film actress Lila Lee was on? Her wikipedia states she "starred in early television soap operas in the 1950s" but her IMDb page doesn't mention anything. If you have any info whatsoever that'd be great.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You might want to check the Valiant Lady thread - her son was on there (James Kirkwood). I can't remember if any of her soaps are mentioned in the interviews I posted. I think they might have just said she auditioned but was seen as too young looking to play his mother.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Variety June 18th, 1969

"As the World Turns" with a 13.8 and "Search forTomorrow" with a 10.4, both CBS. That web's "Edge of Night" ties NBC's "Another World" with a 9.7. "Guiding Light" runs fifth with a 9.0 for CBS.

CBS daytime average of 8.5 for the two-weeks' 10 a.m. through 4: 30 p.m. day part puts it 47% ahead of NBC's 5.8,

• Members

Variety May 19th 1965

CBS TV's answer to ABC-TV's "Peyton Place" ,"Our Private World," registered a rating of 15.1 and a 25 share of audience for it's preem. The Friday (7) "Private World" chapter, two nights later, only drew an 11.9 rating and a 21 share. The 11.9. compares to an 11.1 rating for the daytime soaper "As the World Turns," from which it is based.

• Members

Yes, Eric. Bell started on Days July 5, 1966. However, I really do not think his departure from World Turns really affected the ratings negatively other than it created more competition in general for CBS. CBS ruled the roost in daytime with no real threats until around 1967. Bell at Days, Aggie Nixon at Another World, and Rita Lakin at The Doctors began to create serious competition for CBS, luring viewers away. With Dark Shadows on ABC, and later One Life to Live, younger audiences were flocking to the Alphabet Network. The world was changing, too. 1967 was the era of the summer of love, everybody and their Aunt Ilene experimenting with mind altering substances, unbridled creativity and an openness to alternative thought. A greater segment of viewers began to turn away from the staid and the conservative. Sure, World Turns remained a solid number one. The institution wasn't falling yet, but there were cracks in the plaster.

Edited by saynotoursoap