OLTL: Discussion for the week of September 26

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Goodness knows I can't stand post-Cole lobotomized Starr and appreciate any sign she's not following in her mom's footsteps, but this crap today is what bugged me about Todd and Shorty's 2001-2002 relationship.

RH's Todd is perfectly fine using his beloved daughter as a criminal accomplice. I didn't find that at all endearing when she was 10 nor now that she's a single parent.

• Members

Well, at least they're feeling some sort of passionate response. I think that is a good thing. And I don't know which daughter you're talking about, but there are a lot of people who never accepted Natalie as Viki's daughter to begin with -- and apparently Jessica never truly has either.

I thought that was a glaring omission. Especially since Natalie brought up Tess trying to kill her and Jared, and them causing Nash's death (accidentally and in self defense, mind you) was the reason Tess tried to kill them.

Excellent point. Just tells me there's a lot of drama and conflict and soapy goodness to still be mined from the twins. This is so much better than the schmoopy "You're my twin and I love you so much and we share each other's thoughts and feelings" crap.

Today was an excellent episode all the way around. I don't like Tina, but I really enjoyed how they juxtaposed the conflict with Tina and Viki against the conflict with the twins. Loved Blair sniping at Tina, although I hate the presumption that Tina has enough wits about her to spar with Blair.

Loved Brody and Clint's convo. Brody is still a good guy who cares about the Buchanan's and wants the family to move beyond this. I kind of hearted him today, because he faced off with Clint for Natalie's sake. And I loved how when Brody told Clint he would push Natalie away and lose both his daughter and his grandson, you could see how that thought pained Clint. While of course simultaneously Jessica was telling Natalie no one would care if she were gone.

And I really loved Starr today. She was my Starr of old just all grown up and savvy and smart. She developed a plan and executed it flawlessly and knew exactly what she was doing. KA did a great job with those scenes today and when she held the gun on the cops I could see her going on to bigger and better things. She just looked very comfortable in those scenes. Didn't miss a beat.

Today was just classic IMHO.

• Members

Even by RC standards,that was obvious. I complained before that RC makes these stories drag out so long partly by doing this--when you telegraph the answer to a mystery or a story SOO long in advance, it makes it frustrating. Yes, soaps to some extent have always depended on audiences clueing in, or thinking they clue in, to what the characters haven't realized, before the characters' themselves realize. But usually that's done near the story climax, not at the start. For me, anyway, it spoils the fun, and makes it just annoying, when we know something for months before that the characters (and maybe I'm wrong, maybe the microchip's not in the ring, or maybe they will all realize it's in the ring this week--but I have my doubts...)

Don't you know?! Her and Mario Batali are helping teach America how to eat well and nutritiously! (I have nothing against Paula, but all of this seems to go against what Frons claimed the show would set out to achieve...)

Love that GIF. I admit, to try to get enjoyment out of all of this, I kinda am diffing OTT Irene. Though when one of her minnions (is she a member of Mitch's cult and using his followers?) rolled out the bomb, I kinda lost it...

• Members

I WISH Tina had MENTIONED that her daughter's life was the key thing she was being blackmailed about. Are we just meant to forget about that? I guess so? Vicki of all people would at least slightly lay off her if she found out that reason. UGH.

That bomb... Irene seems immune to the government but is she really so untouchable she can wander around town pointing guns at people's backs in broad daylight, or bomb an entire family and house, that's connected right to her?

• Members

Irene is such a mess that she's incredibly entertaining to watch. I love how hammy the actress is in comparison to Slezak. And Andrea Evans' Tina is COMPLETELY believable ad her daughter.

When she said Jack was just like his father, did she mean Todd or Victor? And since she seems to like him, do you think she'll call him to get him out of the house?

• Members

I think the best soap writing is when you CAN understand where every character is coming from. Agnes Nixon said she didn't like villains as much as she liked when characters did wrong, mean, or bad things but for (in their mind) good and the right reasons. On AMC the past two or so months, many hated what happened to JR, but personally I felt it came from a place where I felt I could understand why he was behaving like that, even if I didn't remotely condone it. I find this often is missing in RC's writing (and in a lot of soap writing--yes, my beloved AMC included, in general).

Archived