What did Hogan Sheffer do to ATWT?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh that's right - there was a very strong implication that once a young woman lost her virginity, she would become a bitch.

And that's exactly what happened with Jennifer, along with cliched nonsense about how she THOUGHT she wanted to save herself, but as soon as she saw Bryant's flaming cousin naked, she knew she wanted to get laid.

• Members

I don't really understand this pervasive attitude I mean I really do not about this portrayal of men and women on soaps today and why the audience is so so accepting of it. Is there any other genre or even nighttime soaps.shows that portray women and men this way? And people find rapists like Todd Manning and EJ Dimera hot and edgy. And writers like Sheffer Pratt Guza now Carvalati take pleasure in portraying men and women this way. I can forgive the plot plot plot nonsense but really the rest is just mind numbing. What happened to the days when you could create interesting complex males without having to turn them into abusers of women.

• Members

Someone who calls himself a writer but who dismisses storytelling in its' purest form the way most everyone who has grown up in this stifling, straight white male-dominated culture does. (Save for those who actually watch these shows, of course.)

For me, Hogan's biggest deficit as HW was his complete lack of regard for the show's history. In almost every case, history either was ignored completely, or rewritten to make an already worthless story work. It's bad enough when any soap does this, but it was especially unseemly for ATWT since, thanks to Marland, history had become its stock-and-trade.

• Members

Isn't the depiction, and the romanticizing of rape, still a problem in romance fiction as well? I really wouldn't know, but I've read articles that imply as much. But yeah--I think it really just boils down to laziness. For all the mixed reaction to LB's current AMC, and the continued hero complex of Ryan and Zack--I'm not even sure if it's a hero complex with Zack--I appreciate that it seems to have a more realistic view of gender, actually even under the K/S era it seemed to manage to.

• Members

Because WOOOOOOOOOO EJAY AND SAMMI ARE SOOOOO HOT & CUTE 2GETHUR NOT LIKE THOSE OLD FARTS VIKTOR & MAGEE WHO WANTS WATCH OLD PEOPLE HAVE SEX? IT IS GROSS THAT S NOT Y I WATCH DAYS! IVE WATCHED THE SHOW SINCE I WAS 6 NOW IM 13, 14 NEXT WK! :) :) :) LUKAS IS SO HOT BRING BACK BRYON WE MISS U BRYON WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Members

I think much of the audience isn't accepting. I think this is a big reason why soap ratings have fallen so drastically in the last 10-15 years. I know the prevailing wisdom is that women were locked inside their homes until 1994, but generally I believe most viewers have, even with much effort and patience, been driven away by how regressive soaps have become.

Perhaps if these people were talented, then viewers might have stayed, even with misogyny and bigotry, but generally the talent has been impossible to see.

That's why I could never just say, "How great Barbara has a story/Barbara wasn't killed off." Barbara as Scooby Doo villain was such a cheapening of anything she was, even when she was a bitch or a schemer. I remember when they tried to make something out of Kim turning her back on Barbara. Who could care when there was zero warm relationships of any kind in Oakdale anyway? Hogan Sheffer sneers at any warmth, family, friendship, or caring.

• Members

I have mixed feelings about Sheffer. To be honest, the show DID need a shot in the arm when he came on the scene. Suddenly, ATWT was being talked about, winning Emmys, and provoking discussion. Also, on the plus side, the fabulous Barbara Ryan (reduced to pouring coffee and listening to the problems of that awful FirstJennifer) was suddenly front-and-center and portrayer Colleen Zenk Pinter was Emmy-nominated for Lead Actress. When Sheffer split up Barbara and Hal, it led to a chain-reaction of storylines that WAS fun to watch. The problem was that ATWT was really good for about a year and a half, and Hogan was there for five years. For one great Barbara Ryan story, we got five Teens On The Run. For every great new character like Rose D'Angelo, we got lots of Dahlias, Pilars, Doc Reeses and , lest we forget, Bonnie In Scotland. Worst of all, we got Craig, Craig, Craig. Every frigging day. This wasn't the conflicted sometime=hero/sometime-villain of Scott Bryce. No, Sheffer gave us Hunt Block's Craig, aka Snidely Whiplash -meets -Henny Youngman.

• Members

I have a lot of complaints about AMC but they in general have treated women respectfully well as good as any soap can. Zach is just the typical sexist piggish antihero same as JOhn McDraino and Jason Snorgan, he doesn;t abuse Kendall he just doesn't respect her or ignores her. JR is really the only really awful male on that show for the most part but they also dont glorify him so you feel sorry for him in a way. And Ryan is a sanctimonious know it all but he's never treated any of the women he's been with badly for the most part. AMC is about as evenly balanced as you can get with men and women I guess.

Archived