What did Hogan Sheffer do to ATWT?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was just about over by the time he arrived. I mostly remember that for scenes like Ben yelling at God for not letting Andy stay dead - tacky and not really in character either. The biggest problem for me was that the actors had no chemistry (Ben, Denise, or Andy) and Denise did not suit the martyr role. I felt like it was the show trying to make up for her first year on the show, when a lot of fans loathed her for things like selling her baby, wanting the baby back from Holden and Lily, nonchalantly trying to break up Ben and Camille.

He may have written the end (when Kim and John commented on how he was doing what John had done, and Andy finally came clean and left town in a hurry), but not the rest.

• Members

I'm not sure that many people liked it. He worked on hype, and on his personality. The soap press ate that up. I remember SOD heaping praise on things like Julia raping Jack (I believe they were glad this was played for laughs), and I honestly don't think most of ATWT's fans enjoyed one of the leading men being sexually assaulted, especially since it was written as ha ha time.

His first year was popular but after that everything was uneven, at best, and increasingly alienated from what viewers would want. The ratings started falling around late 2001, I believe.

Carolyn Culliton also worked with him early on. I would credit more of the good stuff to her.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I didn't remember who actually started it along. I was thinking it was Sheffer, but it may have been Laiman or Broderick. Anyway, I really liked Denise. I thought she was very non-soapish. Loved Camille too.

You're right. I really wanted them to explore that more. I read at the time the network wanted him gone. To me that was sort of the beginning of the end.

• Members

I liked Denise too. Cassandra Creech was gorgeous in such a non-daytime way. The character was HATED by some, very vocally, and the show never seemed to know where to take her.

Camille was great too. I especially enjoyed her relationship with John. She was fired very suddenly and I thought it was a mistake. I sometimes wonder if, with Tamara Tunie returning around this time, some idiot thought having three black women in prominent or potentially prominent roles was not going to happen.

Andy being the father was Broderick. Andy and Denise marrying and Andy "dying" and returning and faking his paralysis was Laiman, I think.

• Members

Wasnt the rumor as to why they dropped SD was because TPTB didnt think he was attractive enough. If true, thats whack because I think SD is HOT as hell and very attractive.

I hated what HS did to Julia.

Speaking of Jessica, I hated how he basically turned her into a slut.

• Members

Yes, the "not hot" rumor was prominent. There was also a rumor that an executive made a pass at him, and when he said no, this was the result. Or maybe that was just something I figure when I read crap like that, I don't know. It's been a long time.

I hated what Sheffer did with every character. He's a horrible writer who can't write for people he likes or he hates. If he is the reason CZP wasn't fired, then I thank him, but I don't thank him for the years spent on Barbara as Brenda Vacarro/Mommie Dearest/Sunset Boulevard/Scooby Doo reincarnated.

Wait - I take that back. I did like his material for Hal and for Emily (at least until they had Emily panting after that 40-year old Chris recast).

Archived