How to write an American Web Series...

Lust4Life76

• Members

Woo hoo, this was a little bit more challenging than I thought but I actually started scripting the beginning of my webseries tonight. It's going to be a new soap opera. However, though I haven't experienced block because I have brokendown each episode...does anyone ever find it hard to script dialogue?

Erik

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Erik... it can be very hard to do, yes. If it's a conversation you've played over and over in your mind for a long time before writing it, no.

If it's a confrontation scene or a special episode, sometimes I find the words just flow. A mundane conversation can be hard unless you have a few key things you want to work into it.

• Members

Well I remember the first time I tried writing it...as a literary piece, and this was back in the day we had 'zines, independent publications you would hand out at school or coffee houses, it was so...Harlequin...in an 8th grade kind of way. But I knew the dynamic of the characters, and the fact this was something inspired by my intense love for Melrose Place...that I had to write this with a different tone, something old, something new, something borrowed...and definately lots of couples roulette. The main thing I knew would be important was get to know the characters individually, and that was the most fun. The moment I finished one...I found availabilities for other characters to be drawn to this person or be repelled by them and could create them based off of that person, yet give them individuality. Now listening to them talk...some of the characters swear and I worry because I know swearing is a part of life but it doesn't have to be in my series...to sell if you know?

• Members

This is your series. If you want your characters to cuss then let them do that. Cussing is an everyday part of life. We all do it. SO it would not seem unnnatural if they cussed. Again this is your world, your baby, and you do with it as you want. You created this beast so you have every right to have your characters not cuss. This is your show the decision is yours

• Members

I write my own soaps in my spare time (have never shared). I do find it tough to do dialogue. I can run over scenes in my head and I'm capable of it, but I feel like I do all of the work so when it comes to scripts and dialogue, I have a hard time, even though I know what I want to accomplish and how I see the characters.

Cussing is a part of life. I do it all the time. Most of us do. Cable shows throw those words out every other word or sentence, lol. For example, on Dexter, Debra uses the 'F' word after every other word! lol. It's just a part of the character. If you feel the character would cuss a lot, then write it that way. Don't have them cuss just because you can though, IMO.

Archived