GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It seemed that way, but I have to assume that was a red herring.  I couldn't believe they'd do that, but they vaguely killed her off anyway, so maybe?   

I remember Robin's meds not working being a big deal and she was lying to Patrick about it and maybe called Brenda (off screen) and asked for help and then all was good and it wasn't even Lisa effing with her meds.  They just stopped working and were good again.  Weird. 

Edited by carolineg

• Members

IIRC, Ron and Frank said flat-out they would never allow Robin Scorpio to die on their watch and that was absolutely the right thing to do. Bear in mind that when they came in, everyone thought GH had maybe a year to live at best; I believe the original plan was for the kidnapped Robin to come across various other not so dead folks imprisoned with her, namely Alan Quartermaine and Victor Lord Jr./Todd #2 from OLTL, who was shown to be alive and captive in the OLTL finale in early 2012, and all of this would've been part of a grand finale or at least a Hail Mary arc to try and save the show. Didn't quite happen that way, but the Robin arc stayed (and then went on way, way too long when she was kidnapped a second time).

I think the day to day writing wasn't too bad under Wolf bc a lot of the past writing staff was still in place, but his storylines - mysterious Ewen Keenan who was supposed to be a Cassadine or something, the Woman in White, Tracy and Anthony Zacchara - were pretty dumb. IIRC the past GH staff like MVJ, etc. seem to have no love for Wolf in commentary online, but maybe that has to do with extreme loyalty to Guza.

• Members

KMc was pretty disgusted with the show using Robin’s HIV as a plot point during the Lisa storyline and was ready to move on to directing and from what I recall was talked into the possibility of return by Frank as her final scenes were being shot. He arrived not long before she was set to leave, and I’m pretty sure her death was a re-write to leave them some wiggle room.

• Members

I don't know if the Kate/Connie DID arc was something planned before Ron Carlivati came in (it did not show up onscreen until his writing was onscreen). I did think Kelly Sullivan made a pretty decent Kate recast in the fall of 2011, even if I felt the storyline was pointless - I remember seeing them reintroduce Kate and thinking it was a shame, because I'd always liked the character with Megan Ward, but as caroline and I have discussed many times, the finale of the Sonny/Brenda arc in 2011 contained one very crucial scene which explained in detail why there was no purpose to pairing Sonny with anyone else, ever, because it was all futile because of who he is and what he chooses to do with his life. Rolling back the clock to Kate Howard, one of Sonny's only pairings I've ever enjoyed, wasn't going to undo the clarity Sonny had found about himself with Brenda in their break-up, where he'd told her he could never commit to love (with maybe the woman he'd loved most of all) because power was all he truly trusted and the only thing that lasts in his life. Once you have a scene like that one, what is the point of trying to pair Sonny with more women? The story is always the same until he changes.

I thought Sullivan was much better as Kate with halfway-mature dialogue than she was Connie under Ron. That's when she got unbelievably embarrassing to watch, though I know a lot of people loved it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Connie/Kate had some weird scenes where she changed her lipstick and look privately in the mirror before Ron, but I have no idea what the plan was.  There was something there for sure, but I don't know if it was DID or if Kate was out for revenge against Sonny initially.  I think that was my first thought because she was looking a lot at her bloody wedding dress too.

I loved, loved MW as Kate and liked the Kate/Sonny romance.  A Kate recast was unnecessary because there was no place to go as we've said.  He should have found someone like Claudia next who didn't care about the mob and wanted to be his partner in crime.

Edited by carolineg