Singer Amy Winehouse found dead

dragonflies

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Holy crap.

At first I thought this was a joke.

I guess this isn't a surprise, but it's still sad, especially since I thought she had turned her life around a while back. I guess the reports of her being booed off the stage last month told us otherwise.

She was so reminiscent of the old school rock/soul/blues legends like Janis...and she ends up the same way :(

• Members

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/23/singer-amy-winehouse-found-dead-uk-press-says/

Singer Amy Winehouse was found dead at her apartment in London Saturday, the UK Press Association reported. She was 27.

The "Rehab" singer had a history of battling drugs and alcohol and recently left a British rehabilitation program that a representative said was intended to prepare her for scheduled European concerts.

But she cut short the European concert tour in Belgrade, Serbia, last month after she staggered around the stage and stumbled through several songs.

• Members

No.

Tell me this is a sick joke.

This really hurts my heart. I wouldn't call myself a fan, I mean, I liked Rehab whenever it came on the radio. But any death brought on by addiction, especially at such a young age, is a tragic one. And what really troubles me is when youth admires and emulates these artists who burned bright but short by *supplementing* their own craft with drugs and alcohol. Amy had a voice to be admired, but she was no one to look up to. So sad.

• Members

This is one of my favorite songs released in the last 10 or more years.

I know what you mean. There's always a certain cult of worship around those in the industry who die from substance abuse or who die young. I've felt that way sometimes. I do think that in the case of someone like Amy she will end up as more of a cautionary tale, because she never really managed to hide just how damaged she was.

• Members

I know most were addicts, but I still sort of believe in "The 27 Club". And sadly, Amy is a new member:

Brian Jones (Rolling Stones founder)

Jimi Hendrix

Janis Joplin

Jim Morrison

Mia Zapata (although she was murdered [in '93]; lead singer of an up-and-coming Seattle band called The Gits)

Kurt Cobain

Kristin Pfaff (Hole bass player)

Now, Amy Winehouse.

Wikipedia has a page that lists tons more, and it's scary how it seems to be prevalent in the music world. More talent wasted. May she RIP.

• Members

This is by no means shocking news, but it is so tragic. This girl had so much talent, it is so unfortunate addiction got in the way and now has evidently snuffed it out completely. I loved Back to Black and was looking forward to the new material she was allegedly working on. I hope some studio cuts have happened and we get some posthumous stuff. One of the greatest voices to come out of the last decade. She had soul like no other on the scene today.

This is so sad.

Archived