A torndao had just destroyed almost 75% of Joplin, Missouri

alphanguy74

• Members

What a day from hell this has been. I live about 140 miles from Joplin, and my other farm is about 75 miles from Joplin.... but two of my cousin's kids and their families live there, and luckily, they are all OK, but only because it was Sunday and they weren't working (one works as a manager at Walgreens in south Joplin, and their places of employment are now gone). We had several tornadoes on the ground about 15 miles to my north earlier in the evening, but eventually everything passed, and I just watched Celebrity apprentice oblivious to what happened in Joplin until my Aunt called telling us what was going on. The top 2 floors of St. John's hospital is gone, and so far 32 are reported dead. I saw the news chopper footage from one of the Kansas city stations, and it's unbelieveable... and there is more expected tomorrow. I just count my blessings nothing hit my homes or property, and all my family is ok. There are so many people whov'e just been devestated earlier this evening.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This tornado was a freakin' monster. I have no idea why it was categorized as an EF4 when the damage is obviously from an EF5. According to some reports (even on the national news) there's still 1,000+ people unaccounted for. Crazy.

And, there's an outbreak going on in the plains today as well. And, it's supposed to head towards here (KY and the Ohio Valley) tomorrow. Damn.

• Members

Like Money previously stated, it is terrible that these natural disasters seem to be happening more violently and more frequently. I also find it very disappointing and upsetting that our president has not even bothered to visit the folks in Joplin; instead, he is choosing to spend his time in London with the royal family. There seems to be a real double standard here: liberals and the mainstream media justifiably trashed Bush for flying over New Orleans after Katrina (instead of visiting the victims), yet there is so very little criticism of President Obama for how he is neglecting this situation.

• Members

Well, more today... and much closer to my house. We had 11 tornado warnings at one point right about 12:30 this afternoon. Lukcily they all missed my house, but take a look at this video someone took from the parking lot of the Sutherland's home improvement center in Sedalia (this is about 25 miles from my house)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjY4kB5FwR8

Archived