OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I always thought Eliane was a dubed down version of Dorian. She was OK but she didn't have Robin's "flaire for the dramatics." She tried. it would have worked much better if they made her one of Dorian's sisters.... Someone who wasn't crazy. I bet she would have stayed on for a lot longer. Nothing would have changed much except that it wouldn't be Dorian, just a sister who ran the intruder and didn't like Viki. She still could have been the mother figure to Cassie. Then when they brought Robin back, they could have kept both actresses. Robin could have played Dorian to the hilt like she did and maybe they could have fought over Jason Webb.

• Members

I think Elaine played Dorian in broader strokes. Robin's Dorian was tickier and Robin made fabulous little idiosyncratic choices which sadly began to fade in the JFP years and certainly her last years on the show as she felt the need to overcompensate.

Look at this scene with her and Maria. This is MY Dorian. Just look at the way she holds her body, her hands, her mouth. She is doing so much and it's all so effortless. Dorian became so OTT in recent years and all of this poised, detailed finesse was lost to shrill histrionics. BTW, Robin seems to be under the weather here.

• Members

That's my Dorian, too. And this (especially toward the end w/ Mitch and Tina):

RS' relationship with then-EP Paul Rauch might have redefined the word "acrimonious," but not even the damage he did to her character compares to what JFP, FV, Linda Gottlieb, or any other EP or HW did.

Edited by Khan

• Members

For Rauch's many conflicts with her, Dorian actually doesn't fare too badly in terms of writing - yes, Cassie stole her boyfriend, but it was never presented as this sweet young thing and the old bag. Dorian was kept fairly sympathetic and she got to leave with her head held high.

I'm just sorry that her last years on the show had to be such a cartoon.

I liked Jason...

• Members

I just read that--I wonder if that means Wiki got their dates wong as Jan 84, according to them, was when Sam Hall and Peggy O'Shea came back after the brief period of the Corringtons (which Wiki says came AFTER Sam Hall with Henry Slesar...) But yeah that area of OLTL fascinates me, when Jean Arley was producer and the show seemed to be at a bit of a loss, though it did decent ratings wise.

• Members

Well like I have said many times before, just watching Youtube videos of that 83-84 timeframe is like watching paint dry. Stodgy, slow, but with a strangely low key down to earth quality despite the wealth of many of its characters.. Very old fashioned vibe. 1982 seemed like such a wonderful, human, compelling time- especially with that Katrina/Jenny storyline. Brynn Thayer was so stunningly beautiful, and that voice.. AND a wonderful actress.

• Members

Thanks for posting more of these older articles Carl! Ellen Holly always complained about not being invited or involved in anything, I wonder if that had anything to do in her not showing up.

And speaking of Brynn Thayer, having Jenny Wolek be alive would have been a great way to bring Karen and Larry back but Ron only focuses on certain eras. I know Brynn said to Digest that she would love to go back in 2008 and she is appearing on Days Of Our Lives soon too.