AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I thought they had decent chemistry. I didn't let myself invest because I knew he'd go back to Maria. I really wish they hadn't written her out the way they did, just as Carrie Genzel was getting to be a great actress. I think they should have tried them again after Maria died. Instead there was that random thing with Gillian, which either was never supposed to go anywhere, or was stalled out when Broderick left, and finally he had no love interest until Kit. You know I actually liked Kit and Edmund at first...

I'd love to know what Broderick's plans were for Gillian. She was a fun little minx early on - I remember that some fans and the soap press didn't care for her, but I thought she was a breath of fresh air. I still liked her even after McTavish came in, up to the point where she had to sleep with David for Ryan's bail money. That story tarnished everyone involved.

• Members

I loved early Gillian. I have a thing for the bad girls and she was fun. I know her pairing with Ryan was really popular but that ruined her for me. She lost her spunk and fire with him as they tried to transition her into more of a heroine instead of a vixen she was or even an anti-heroine. They even had ehr playing the victim role wit big bad David antagonizing her relationship and later Greenlee. Gillian was at her best when she was a bitch and didnt apologize for it. They could have kept her around like that instead of completeling softening her and changing her personality. She got boring as the little stepford wife

• Members

I liked the fact that Broderick had come up with something fresh: jaded, sophisticated, uninhibited Eurotrash who was basically decent. In contrast to all the ingenues (and born-again ingenues) roaming town, she was a breath of fresh air... cosmopolitan, multilingual, and a keen observer of and commentator on the behavior of others (Dimitri, Laura, Tad). She was arrestingly honest, funny, and sexy.

Then, McTavish came to town and turned her, overnight, into a refugee from a bad British sex farce: the dippy, foreign bimbo. The worst part was realizing that it was actually the writer's intention to have Ryan be "the smart one" in the relationship.

• Members

Watching the March 1 episode again, I had totally forgotten about Hayley's role in Jason being exposed as Laurel's killer. I don't know why, I must have just assumed Janet figured it out all on her own. I had also forgotten just how disturbed Janet was throughout the trial. It was clear that they were setting her up as having another heavy fall, leading to the Janet-as-Brooke story. The work from Robin Mattson was riveting - I think it was her best work at AMC and it was what kept me watching at that time.

Richard Roland's work as Jason was very underrated. At the time I wished they could have found a way to have kept him on. I can see why they didn't, but there was a real hole in their younger leading men at that time, especially regarding acting talent.

The reactions when Jason said he'd shot Laurel - very weak performances from Chris Bruno and Ben Jorgensen, and most of the people shown. I get that they were in shock; it was the moments later in the episode which were worst. I wish they'd focused a little more on Trevor.

Dixie was so harsh to Tad, setting up the Tad/Liza fling. Marcy Walker's work in these episodes is just to die for, from her panic over Tad finding out her ties to Jonathan, to spinning this to make Tad jealous, to her crumbling when Jason blames her for Laurel's murder.

Nice to finally see more again of Erica with her roommate at Betty Ford, who was played by the wonderful Penny Fuller. Fuller played a similar role on St. Elsewhere - clearly, someone at AMC was a fan of that show.

• Members

Her lawyer told her to take a plea, there was no way she'd be found not guilty. Janet was so angry that she fired her lawyer and refused to get other counsel.

I got up to the episode after that, or the part that's available. I don't know why I thought that awful flashbulb light was in Stuart's gallery, when it was in Pierce's cabin. And yet another story where Vietnam trauma is cured by sex - why did soaps keep doing that? I really didn't like Pierce/Brooke at all.

I had forgotten they had sex in the same episode as Tad/Liza. That was actually a pretty hot scene.