Linda Evans Puts Beverly Hills (Post Office) Home For Sale

DaytimeFan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have a point... most of what is "good" and "bad" in interior design is up to the individual. For instance, I'm sure Sylph would clutch his pearls at the thought of my glittered ceilings, he doesn't have very adventerous taste.... and that's fine. I think certain things make interior design bad:

1: Contradiction in style. Meaning trying to decorate a contemporary home with Louis XIV furniture.

2: Lack of any personal style. Something that looks like it came out of a catalog (or IKEA) that doens't have any personal touches or gives any indication of the personality of the person who lives there.

3: Lack of color. This is the most made mistake in the world, so many people are AFRAID of color, Candy Spelling being a perfect example. But like Linda Evans' kitchen, one can go OVERBOARD.

So many people will bleat about a house needing "updating" or being "outdated". I don't subscribe to that theory AT ALL. If a house is period, there nothing wrong with that. Just because your house is decorated in the Peach/Mauve scheme of the 80's that doens't make it bad, it makes it period. For some people, there is some magic number, when a design style goes from "outdated" to "classic"... it tends to be 50 years. Mark my words, in 20-30 years, 70's and 80's decor will be regarded like Art Deco is today. But in the 50's.. Art Deco was "outdated".

• Members

I very much agree with you alpha, great post (and yes I would be ascared to swim in your pond! :lol: ). For instance, I love the '80s contemporary style, always will, and as you said, it's "period". I think things begin to look "dated" when one senses disrepair or decay. A rustic interior can get away with that, but bent mirror blinds, stained mauve carpet, and dirty worn edges on your gray Natuzzi sofa are not going to fly. There are also ways to find modern pieces in the style of your period look. Like for the '80s postmodern update, there are neo-mod designers like Philippe Starck or Michael Graves. You're period yet au courant at the same time.

• Members

Yes... an older style in disrepair is something that I agree would need work. That can be done through finding vintage furnishings in mint condition.... taking EXTREME care of the ones you do have, or refinishing and rehabilitating your worn pieces. For instance I looked and LOOKED for almost 5 years BEFORE I built my house, and could not see any sofa/chairs for my great room that I wanted. then one day while on my way to work, BINGO.... my couch/chair/ottoman/coffee table combo of my DREAMS, out on the curb for the garbage man, right in the middle of the hood. I stopped, loaded them all up, and took em home (this was bout 1 year before I built my house). they were wood frame with seperate cushions, so I stripped them, re-stanied and finished them, and got compeletely new foam cushions and had new covers made for them. Ones with ZIPPERS, BTW, so they could be completely removed and put into the washing machine. And I like the fabric I chose so much, that I bought enough to cover the sofa TWICE... so when it gets worn, I can get a replacement no sweat.

• Members

That's cool, it's good to be resourceful. Though my old roommate in NY had a bad experience with that, I swear that's how she got bedbugs.

My aunt and uncle had a snazzy living room set from the '70s and they loved it so much they had it recovered (this was the late '80s). It looked so good and I thought it was so cool because they always do that on soaps and sitcoms. :P

• Members

Yeah, to hell with that. Yall know where I'm from, and I can tell you, no snakes for me. My grandfather, bless his heart, hated snakes, too. He had a "snakin' gun" in the house just in case one turned up.

No, though, I like Linda's kitchen. I'd have made the cabinets white and the countertops blue, but that's just me. I do love blue/white combinations automatically, though.

And wow. Apparently combinations isn't a word.

• Members

I wonder what design trends of today people will look back on in 20 years with shame? It seems to happen all the time, you know. Everyone likes a design or a trend, and then in 20 years, they laugh and say "How could I?" I'm not like that, as you all well know, if I liked it then, I like it now. PERIOD. One trend of today that I HATE is granite countertops. I feel they are cold, unforigiving (don't set your wine glass down too hard) not to mention expensive. And I'm sorry... but doens't it bother anyone that it seems as if your'e preparing your food on someone's gravestone? Cause that's all I think about when I see polished granite. Now Corian.... THERE is something I can get behind, durable and practical, and it looks good, too!. Linda's are obviously ceramic tile, and while I have no objection to ceramic tile countertops from an aesthetic standpoint, I don't feel they are very sanitary. Too many pores and seams and microscopic crannies to harbor bacteria. I'm also perplexed by the incredible proliferation of IKEA and pottery barn type things. Wrought iron look ABOUNDS. I've got no beef with wrought iron per se... but it seems so generic nowadays, and OVERDONE.

Archived