Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

But that was a Bill Bell trademark. Anytime the show tried to be hip and current it came off as super lame and we loved it.

I'm sure the only viewers who really loved it and took it seriously were Traci Abbott types who sat at home and watched all the CBS soaps every day of Summer, wishing they were in the cool group.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The most *awful* example of this I remember was circa 1975.  Brock Reynolds was working at the Allegro.  He hopped up from his table to entertain the crowd with a pop song.  But after the first few notes, he whispered to the pianist to play a hymn instead. 

The pianist launched into "I Know Jesus is My Redeemer" or something, and Brock belted it out with absolute sincerity, accompanied by mood lighting, bell bottoms, an open-neck shirt, and a gold chain.  

When the hymn was complete, the diners rose in unison and gave Brock a resounding ovation, clapping like it was the final performance of Luciano Pavarotti. 

Based on the reaction of the crowd, Brock decided he should become a full-time evangelist and gospel performer.   

"I just felt the Power of the Holy Spirit in an incredible way.  It was a really heavy moment," Brock sincerely explained to us.  

I was sitting there wondering, Where is Mister Bell going with THIS?!

About that time, Lorie Brooks came slinking in, without a bra on, having just been dumped by Mark Henderson, and asked Brock to pork her please.  Naturally, he couldn't oblige, as the Holy Spirit had just laid something really heavy on him.  

Then it became clear -- in Bill Bell's world, Lorie needed to be rejected TWICE -- first by Mark Henderson, and then by Brock Reynolds.  The whole *musical interlude* was a device to get Brock on a "spiritual plane" so that he would reject Lorie's breathless sighs and jiggling headlights. 

That was Bill Bell for you!   

• Members

Wow - did not know that.

If he appeared in 1986 it must have been on first or second day of January because he is not seen in any of the German Y&R episodes which started with Jan 10, 1986 or sotmething.

JoAnna should have been there. It amazes me that Brad Bell brought her back in the Bell soap orbit when Travey Bregman could not show up on B&B for that one day. This reminded Y&R that JoAnna still exists, so brought her back a couple of times 2005+. Considering that she missed out the entire baby switch of Lauren and following years of turmoil it’s always crazy…

The word should have been around back then because there is not other way to describe those concerts. The PC themes to go along with it. The highly spontaneous duets. It was everything.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

@BoldRestless Digging in this thread there was talk about Y&R international broadcasts. 

Y&R started in Australia in 1974 and in New Zealand in 1977.

As far as Canada goes, I know Global started airing Y&R in 1984, and CHCH aired Y&R before that but I don't know the start year. 

Italy started in 1983 w/ episodes from 1979.

Israel started in 1992 w/ episodes from 1988.

Don't know about the start year in Turkey.

Does anyone know if Y&R was or still is broadcast in any English-speaking Caribbean countries, ie. Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Jaimie Lyn Bauer (Lorie Brooks ) left YR in 1982. Ten years later she worked again with John Conboy. Rai italian tv produced a daily soap called Secrets (65 episodes, 22minutes lenght). It was taped between january and may 1992 in Milan. The cast was mostly american, while the crew was italian. Judith Krantz was the headwriter. Conboy was the executive producer. The leading actors were David Birney (Serpico) and Peggy Lipton (Twin Peaks). Other cast members were Sherilyn Wolter (General Hospital, Santa Barbara), Timothy Gibbs (Santa Barbara) and William Bumiller (Guiding Light). Bauer played a villainess. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AlexGrimaldi

• Members

From what I've seen of Jaime Lyn Bauer's original Y&R run, she was made for primetime soaps. Her primetime roles were the short-lived NBC primetime soap Bare Essence, and guest star on The Love Boat and Knots Landing, but she eventually returned to daytime w/ Days.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

John and JLB also starred in the pilot for 'Together Again' which was planned as a daily syndicated  soap produced in Mexico. It never got past the pilot stage.

It was stated that they may not continue if the show was picked up -they were used basically as names to promote the show and dress up the pilot.