Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ashley feels like four separate characters.

ED 1982-88 original recipe Ashley was initially presented as confident and goal-oriented on track to a successful business career but became emotionally fragile in the aftermath of the parentage reveal. Ashley was a likeable character, but I didn't feel she was a clear-cut heroine in the vein of Chris Brooks and Leslie before her, and Caroline and Christine after her. Even though Ashley was the other woman in the eternal triangle and little Victoria called her the wicked witch that took her daddy away, you couldn't fully hate Ashley.

BE Ashley was a serviceable recast, but she was written more as a heroine to fit BE acting style and that didn't fit the character. BE looked too innocent and sweet to be believable as the other woman in the eternal triangle. I could not picture little Victoria calling BE Ashley the wicked witch that took her daddy away.

SS Ashley was unlikeable and boring, but the timing may have played a part too. Bill Bell seemed to have lost interest in the Abbotts when Y&R went off track from 1994-1997.

ED 1999 return was as though she never left but there was a coldness and hardness added to Ashley that wasn't there in her original run. That might have been due to Bill Bell no longer writing, or a change in ED acting style from her time on Days.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

As I pointed out before, ED's acting style is what lead Ashley's pairings w/ Brian, Eric, Marc to tank. That's also probably why Bill Bell kept ED Ashley and Traci in separate orbits when it came to their romances and romantic rivals. There was no way that 1985 Don Diamont could have kept up acting-wise w/ 1985 ED.

When Bill Bell put Victor in the Abbott orbit w/ the Mergeron takeover storyline, he saw that EB was a match for ED's acting style and the rest is history.

While I think Ashley cared for Steven, I didn't sense it was a genuine love. Steven supported Ashley through a difficult time, but I feel the marriage was her trying to move on from Victor.

• Members

Since next month (the 25th, to be exact) is Tracey Bregman’s 40th anniversary as Lauren on the show, do you guys predict they’ll do a tribute episode to her?? Do you think there’s enough material for one?? Do you think she deserves it??

I personally hope they do one and show her very first appearance with Beth Maitland during the episode and go through the journey of her character with Danny, Paul, Scott, and Michael as her leading men. Then they touch on her endless times of being antagonized by Sheila and her bullying of Traci. They should also touch on Shawn Garrett and how he tortured her as well. They, too, should touch on her relationships with her mother and father, and her close friendship with Katherine.

I believe if they did one for Beth, they should DEFINITELY do one for Lauren.

I’d love to know your thoughts on this.

• Members

I would love this! I think there's a good chance since they did Michael and even Esther. And they just did Sheila's.

I hope we can get something really new... not just the banana split and Sheila stuff. Maybe the scenes where Lauren's mother comes back and Lauren overhears her say she never wanted her. I don't think we have ever seen those. I would also like to see Lauren and Paul's wedding with Jazz as a witness (there was a very very brief clip of it in the 1986 German episodes). I would like to see more of Lauren bullying Traci which would most likely be put together with the scene of them making up. They should feature Brad - maybe the time she gave him a heart attack making love and then she had the catfight with Traci. Also want to see her featured as a businesswoman in her large office.

I feel like they would be likely to show more recent stuff that is more Michael-centric, which is fine since that stuff is almost 20 years old at this point, but I would love to see more rare stuff. The scenes with their confrontation over her affair with Carmine were really good. 

I wonder if they would show the retcon of her being sisters with Jill. They completely ignored Nikki's retcon son Dylan in her episode, haha.

• Members

Considering TB was one of Y&R's first acting Daytime Emmy winners, I say she deserves an anniversary episode.

Clips that should be shown: Lauren's first appearance, first meeting w/ Paul and their wedding, first fight w/ Traci, first scene w/ JoAnna, first scene running Fenmore's after her father's death.

Hahaha, yes. The cult story was referenced but Dylan was not. He's been wiped from the canon.