DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well then, you're gonna struggle around here cos with that way of thinking, you'll have about 70% of this forum blocked by the end of the month. 

It's giving "we've discovered computer effects with a green screen and we're very excited about it!"

The 1990 ad is probably just promoting a one-off Halloween episode, as I don't think it fits into any ongoing stories from that period that I can recall.

• Members

It's kind of funny because they were so focused on the computer effects they didn't actual promote anything but Drake Hogestyn's chest lol.  The one thing I will say about Days is they really tried to promote Genie.  They probably should have worked on the character of Diana more, but they wanted everyone to know she was coming.

I believe this is one of the ads @Khan was talking about last night.

Please register in order to view this content

Thanks for the info! The 1990 ad was dark too, so I had trouble seeing what was going on and who was involved.  It looked more interesting than I am sure it actually was.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Whenever I see ads of that era, I think, man it must have taken forever to grow out all of those Jose Eber layers of hair!

I think what surprised me the most was how much money must have spent on this project.  I always thought of it as strictly a vanity project for PR.  However, they hired writers and commissioned scripts, so it must have had a bit of budget for development.  Even though given the realities of the upsurge in talk shows and more reality-driven entertain, coupled with the NBC affiliates wanting more time for local news programming, meant that the chances of making a DAYS spin-off seemed very slim. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

http://web.archive.org/web/20040611192307/http://www.soapoperafan.com/days/characters/scofield.html#vern

Molly began going to school at Salem University, but was having problems with a male professor there. Molly was being sexually harassed by a Professor Gavin. Molly told this to Tanner, who recognized the name as being a professor his mother worked for a long time ago. Tanner went to Brian and his father Vern and demanded to know what happened to his mother. Brian and Vern told Tanner that Mrs. Scofield had been raped and commited suicide. Tanner put two and two together and figured out that it was Professor Gavin who raped his mother. Ginger and Tanner forced a confession out of Gavin, who was convicted and sent to jail. 

• Members

It was promoting the storyline concerning shenanigans during the making of a horror movie in Salem. Normally, this would be a C plot on its own (it involved Carrie and Sarah), but it also somehow tied into the larger picture of Lawrence's arrival.

• Members

Oh, okay.  I remember the horror movie stuff a little bit.  I thought it might be connected to that but I didn't recall that story amounting to much or even a promo.  I guess it makes sense with Lawrence's arrival.

• Members

How about "all of the above," lol?  The ones you've posted/talked about, the ones like the one @Vee posted, too.  (I just thought the entire campaign was too poseur-ish, too "try hard," know what I'm saying?)

I especially hate those like the one you posted, @carolineg, featuring JY's Lucky as "rebel," or whatever.  They all attempted to make the characters on ABC soaps appear to be so cool and relatable.  But, if you ask me, ABCD's characters had become so maladjusted across the board that, IMO, they were the literal opposite of cool and relatable.  

If I had done that campaign, I would've been a lot more straightforward.  For example: a picture of whoever was playing OLTL's Todd at that time, with the word "rapist" underneath.  GH's Sonny?  "sociopath."  Carly?  "gun moll."

And why, for [!@#$%^&*]'s sake, is it in the same color scheme as a [!@#$%^&*] taxi cab?  Were they paying homage to the old sitcom "Taxi" or something?  It's stupid!

Oh. My. God.

• Members

Back to Roman: Jerk or Not. Not sure when I posted here last but I have kept up. This begins a few days back. 

12-3-91 Day 15 Not a jerk. Roman & John on hands & knees crawl into the Mayan pyramid. Outside Izzy & Marlena are awkward. Bo is mostly running from somewhere to here. Roman & John have to work together, which they do. Just as they finally get somewhere Lawrence & Gretchen catch up with them & hold them at gunpoint. Suddenly Stefano appears only we only hear him & see his shoes. It is not Joe Moscolo. Victor is chained to the wall. Carly finds him & frees him.

12-4-91 Day 16 Not a jerk. (12-31-23) No idea who is playing Stefano but their accent is horrible! John finally acknowledges that he is not Roman. Roman looks forward to putting his family back together, beginning with Marlena as his wife. She has a funny expression on her face as he expresses this.

12-5-91 Day 17 Not a jerk. (1-4-24) Marlena expresses to John that she loves him & he says she doesn't & that he is not the man she fell in love with. He asks her if she can say that she does not love the other guy. She can't say that. He knew she couldn't. She tells Roman that she loves him. And that it feels very very good for him to hold her this way. But that she needs some time. Does he understand? He says he does. He says he is not going to push her. He's waited 7 years so he guesses he can wait longer.

12-6-91 Day 18 (1-6-24) No Roman, no Marlena, no John, no Izzy. Scofields the anniversary of their mother's death (raped; committed suicide). Bo & Carly preparing for their Mayan wedding tomorrow. They continue to abstain.

• Members

The strange thing is I can only remember those print ads for the younger crowd like Nik, Lucky, Liz, and maybe Gia for GH at least?  I can't remember if Carly, Sonny, and Jason had ones.  I am sure they did, but in my 10 minute google search I could only find JY's Lucky, which is obviously going to be awful lol.

The color scheme is so off.  I thought maybe they were going for bright gold and black, but it was certainly a flaming yellow lol.

I think they look so silly now, but I was a little into them back then not going to lie.  The stupid print ads not the weird bumpers.