DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I'd imagine that one advantage with DAYS' for actors is the amount of dark weeks since it allows them more time off to do other projects or just plain holidayin'. Considering the insane taping schedule when they do tape I'd think it's a trade-off essentially.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

4–5 months of PTO is a nice benefit.

Yet, I had never considered that it is pretty remarkable that they maintain physical consistency throughout their time off.  Obviously, nobody in Salem ever gains weight.  But, there are also few notable changes in hair or tanned skin over the course of a year.  I know the Dark Weeks are rarely consecutive, but that's a lot of personal maintenance for an actor. 

Although, I noted that RSW seems to add to his tattoos every summer, and it seems like a burden for the makeup crew to have to airbrush them.  Between RSW and Greg Vaughan, I wonder how they choose which tats to cover?

• Members

This storyline was mentioned in discussion recently. I had Maureen's book out looking up something else so I thought I'd do a verbatim account from it while I was there. 

The Salem Strangler Storyline
p.97 Marlena took a job on a nighttime radio show and immersed herself in her work. One night she got a phone call from a man who said he was on the verge of murder and begged her to stop him! Marlena tried to keep him on the phone and stop the killing, but her efforts proved fruitless. 
p.99 Meanwhile, Marlena was tormented by strange phone calls and death threats. Detective Roman Brady was assigned to protect her and moved into her house, vowing to sleep in a sleeping bag on her living room floor until the strangler was caught. Although initially antagonistic toward one another, Marlena and Roman realized their growing attraction. But their relationship was complicated by the so-called Salem Strangler who was on a murderous rampage. Eugene Bradford, a former patient of Marlena's, was the prime suspect. Fearing the strangler might try to kill her, Marlena sent for Johnny, for his own protection, to live with her parents in Colorado. Roman decided Marlena should leave town as well, for her protection. 
However, the Salem Strangler, revealed to be Jake Kositcheck, thought he saw Marlena in her home and made his move. He strangled "Marlena" and ran away. Roman returned to find her limp body and cried in anguish that he would find Jake. Much to his astonishment, it turned out that it was not Marlena who was strangled, but her twin sister, Samantha! 
Jake attempted to kill Renee but was unsuccessful. However, Renee saw his face and could identify him. Shocked by the revelation, Renee blocked tyhe memory from her mind. This bought Jake the time he needed. This time he found Marlena alone in the carriage house. He had the scarf wrapped around her neck when Roman burst in, saved Marlena and killed Jake. Chris was distraught that he was unable to save his brother. 

Russell, M. (1995). Days of Our Lives: A Complete History of the Long-Running Soap Opera. McFarland & Company, Inc. Maureen, a soap fan & an historian, posted on rec.arts.tv.soaps

• Members

https://x.com/Evangelia1111/status/1729081908968206683?s=20

#OnThisDay in 1986, #Days aired a special Thanksgiving episode with Tom and Alice and the Brady and Horton family, full of memories of supercouples and iconic moments of the past. Those were the days! #TomAlice #DougJulie #Bope #Jarlena #Shim & more. #DaysofourLives #DOOL

• Members

That was the episode that wasn't supposed to happen. Never found out why. My only guess is Days thought they were being preempted Thanksgiving Day but were not. They wrote the episode with tons of flashbacks and taped it the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so just 5 days before it aired and gave it a special episode # 5364A, so the episode was obviously unplanned until the last moment!

• Members

I have a theory but there's problems with the theory. It has everything to do with the NFL game.

In 1985, the NFL game wasn't a problem. It was the earlier NFL game on NBC and the pregame and game airing took up Days' hours across all markets, from east to west coast.

In 1986, the NFL game between the Seahawks and Cowboys aired at 4 p.m. ET, with pregame beginning at 3 ET. Days pretty much aired between 12-2 everywhere. With the studio in California, no one might have realized until very late that the eastern markets were running their usual TV schedules until 3 ET.

Only about half of Days' usual markets ran that Thanksgiving episode, based on a quick scan of newspaper TV listings. Another World ran an episode that day, too, as did Search for Tomorrow, on whatever networks were still airing SFT.

It's a theory in that the NBC NFL game was at the same time in 1984. Days would have been aware only part of their markets were seeing the Thanksgiving episode. Maybe they did plan on preempting it but weren't allowed. I know nothing of network politics in this regard.

• Members

OH THE MAGICAL WORDS!!! Love Koslow, But There’s Just Something about Adair

Please register in order to view this content

Do You Have The Episode when Laura Exposed Kate's Past To The Entire Salem at A Kiriakis Gala???? Probably the most iconic Moment For JLB's Laura!

• Members

I loved the rivalry between Laura and Kate! going back to the 70's although retconned.. 

Laura returning back from the death during Kate's testimony and exposing Kate's lies.. and then of course the gala, Laura finally telling bill and Kate had an affair resulting Lucas. 

1993-1994 were great storytelling!!! 

• Members

@JAS0N47   Do you know when this was? 1993? 1994? Any idea at all of month & year? I can go to DT Royalty & find it if I have a starting point & if it is around this time I know where I can get the full episode. Sounds like it would be great fun to revisit it. Thanks, as always. 

• Members

I believe it was April 1994! 

Jaime Lyn Only Debuted As Laura in November 1993 and Only Returned To Salem In February 1994

I Loved that Little Reminder of their Previous Rivalry in 2010 during the tribute to Alice! I don't They interacted after that tough!