SOD Best and Worst of 2000

• Members

Apologies if this was already posted. I will just give the categories and if you want to know any more, let me know.

Best Daytime Couple - Sonny/Carly, GH

Most Boring Couple - Nina/Tomas, Y&R

Best Primetime Couple - Ben/Felicity, Felicity

Most Tortured Couple - Sheridan/Luis, PSSNS

Best and Worst Triangles - Kevin/Kelly/Joey, OLTL/ - Ben/Denise/Andy, ATWT

Most Shocking Plot Twist - Thorne and Macy Elope, B&B

Most Preposterous Plot - Virtual Reality, DAYS

Best and Worst Secrets - Bianca's a Lesbian, AMC/ - Eliot Killed Laura, AMC

Best and Worst Quadrangles - Harley/Phillip/Beth/Jim, GL/Reva/Josh/Olivia/Noah, GL

Best New Male and Female Characters - Henry, ATWT/Alison, PC

Best Female and Male Returns - Phyllis, Y&R/Dimitri, AMC

Worst and Best Weddings - Scott and Lucy, PC/Hayley and Mateo, AMC

Most Realistic Teen - Susan, GL

Most Realistic Family - Nick, Sharon, Cassie, and Noah, Y&R

Dumbest Male and Female Characters - Ridge B&B, Gwen, PSSNS

Best/Worst Recasts - Craig, ATWT/Jake, AMC

Best Vixen - Nicole, DAYS

Best Villain - Edmund, GL

Best Psycho - Julie, PC

Most Annoying Character - May, GL

Best Teen Couple - Philip and Chloe, DAYS

Best New Couple - Leo and Greenlee, AMC

Most Entertaining Daytime Couple - Tabitha and Timmy, PSSNS

Most Entertaining Primetime Couple - Meghan and Sean, Felicity

Best Remote - Venice, B&B

Worst "Remote" - Survivor Island, ATWT

Best/Worst Disaster - Prom Boat, PSSNS/Plane Crash, DAYS

Dumbest Axing - Robin Strasser, OLTL

Best Use of History - PC's Scott Crosses Over, GH

Gone But Not Forgotten - AW on ATWT

Best Breakup - Rick/Abby, GL

Best Revenge - Endicott Awards, ATWT

Worst Mystery - Franco's Murder, DAYS

Best Tearjerker - Macy's Death, B&B

Best Teen Story, Glow by Jabot, Y&R

Best Story - Battle for Jabot, Y&R

Worst Story - Helena/Chloe/Lucky, GH

Most Improved Show - DAYS

Most Disappointing Show - OLTL

Best Primetime Show - Dawson's Creek

Best Show - ATWT

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMAO. I wonder if the same people that thought that back then would still feel the same way today

this was the best? I hated it and thought that was when Kelly went downhill

Most preposterous in daytime history. This was beyond stupid and a waste of time, not to mention it lasted way too long

IA, after all the build up Scott and Lucy got, their wedding was rushed and a major disapointment.

and almost 10 years later, she was still a teen

Why'd they get this? Im surprised Sheridan didnt get it as she was pretty dumb throughout Passions run

While I prefer Michael Lowry, I thought Peck was decent enough

lol...I liked the Days plane crash. That was when they were searching for Hope, right?

She was axxed? I always thought she left on her own

I dont recall this story. I beelive Luckywas brainwashed around this time but how does Chloe figure into it? Was this when she was having her psychic dreams with that music box thing?

• Members

I believe Strasser left under pressure from JPF, but I could be wrong? Interesting to see that they liked anything from OLTL at the time.

I liked AMC's Jake recast (J Eddie Peck) MUCH more than Lowry, who always was mopey as Jake (oddly, I liked him a lot more on OLTL last year, well till his chaacter was ruined--so that didn't last very long).

I know I am in the STARK minorigy, and I remember being so at the time, but I liked Eliot and the admittedly ridiculous (did he get plastic surgery so she wouldn't recognize him? I can't even remember? LOL) storyline of him being revealed as Laura's killer. I liked the redemption angle, I liked the aspect of him beign a priest, bringing back in the community center, the material it gave Brooke, the actor, I even liked them as a couple. To me it was classic soap opera--but I aknowlegde it didn't go over REMOTELY well and wqas quickly axed. I think this was one of several examples of Agnes Nixon's tenure as HW again where she tried some storylines that would have gone over better in the 70s than to a modern audience (the uber bland, old school soap heroine Becka being another example). But, I admit with some shame, it worked for me.

• Members

They didn't like the plane crash because they thought it was silly -- Greta offering to shut the plane door, and then the Gilligan's Island type scenes, and the variety show the teens and Lili put on.

I thought Peck was pretty decent when he had the material. Mostly with Greenlee. That was the only time the character being a self-righteous ass worked, because Greenlee was better with someone who did not enable her endless childless whiny bullcrap. I thought he was pure hell with Lowry in the role and not a lot better with RPG.

• Members

I think he got plastic surgery because of a prison beating, didn't he? I thought the story just was not a good idea for Brooke. Brooke had already had too many romances with men with secret pasts or who had caused her trauma. She was starting to become a parody and becoming more and more isolated -- this was also when they brought in the terrible Laura recast.

I think bringing him back and doing a story with Brooke, but not a romance, would have worked better.

Strasser left because JFP wrote out everyone around her and gave Strasser character-destroying stories she hated, like running over Jessica. She also tried very hard to make Lindsey the new Dorian.

• Members

I thought they were good early on, although I put that down to the chemistry between the actors. Even then I often disliked the writing, which was lazy. I was just hoping to see Carly move in another direction after years of AJ/Jason hell. No chemistry with BW and Steve Burton shut down any time he had a scene with her. For a brief time, it was a nice change.

• Members

The original Kevin/Kelly/Joey triangle was just awful and the nadir of Gina Tognoni's descent into cold, brittle ice queen. I was so happy to see the back of her the following year and I would never have expected she'd be so wonderful on GL.

However, several years later, Kevin, Kelly and Joey became a huge gold mine to tap into for drama. What was important was that despite many huge mistakes, Michael Malone tapped into the fact that Kevin and Kelly had begun as a sleazy affair, they'd screwed over their loved ones, and their marriage was built on sand and lies and too much pride. After he made them implode, they became a tortured couple to root for. I think they still are. Ten years ago I would never have believed Kevin and Kelly could became a star couple for OLTL, but that's what they did become under Dan Gauthier and Heather Tom, even though OLTL never treated them properly. I think it could still work with Gina.

• Members

Ah yes, the never-ending murder mystery. By 2000, I think that was when Sami and Brandon went to Europe somewhere to investigate the girlfriend/family of Roberto (the guy Kate convinced to take the murder rap before he died), and as Sami got closer to the truth, Kate and Lucas gaslighted her with a Will doll and some drug or herb.

Funny how there's all those DAYS negatives (Hi, Virtual Eden!) yet they were still crowned the most improved of the year.

• Members

Vee, I was wondering if you thought that the criticism of OLTL in 2000 was justified, or if the show was really that much worse than in 1998 or 1999. I tend to remember SPW being more positive towards OLTL than Digest was at this time but I wonder if they were just making up for lost time as a lot of the soap press turned a blind eye to JFP's run.

Archived