Actors who successfully transitioned to behind-the-scenes roles

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he was one of the first endlessly recycled "show killers", but ego-maniacal, Actors' Studio host, James Lipton, started off as an actor on GL.

Did we mention Millee Taggert? I really wouldn't include Lemay--yes he trained as an actor, but he was all but clueless about soaps before P&G hired him on...

• Members

Sylph, that's a good question. I think there's more good overall--many of the great playwrights also started off as actors--and I think there's usually more of a knowledge of what works for actors, etc. There seems to be less of an overall "success" rate when actors become producers though--maybe because they don't have to deal primarily with the actors and lines like a director or writer would, but with balancing more issues?

• Members

That's really a good question.

I'm going to hedge a guess that if they're a good actor then they have probably understood the essence of story thus making them a decent writer. If they couldn't get the essence of story to act it out, I don't see how they could ever convey it through the written word.

Essentially you either are a story teller or you're not. You can learn techniques but that doesn't make you a writer, just someone who writes.

Kind of like Charles Emmerson Winchester III so wisely observed to a patient who was a composer and had lost his right hand - one can play the notes but that doesn't mean they can make music.

• Members

Although I know and know of several ambitious actors who've successfully helmed their own projects, it is my opinion that most actors are not hardened and focused on the bottom line enough to wear the producer hat. Actors are great "creative consultants" but the ones I know tend to get bored easily, have a hard time staying focused doing something that does not interest them, and have somewhat of a "que sera sera" attitude when they lose interest or things don't work out as planned. So it takes a certain kind of actor to make those successful transitions. Just my 2¢.

Archived