As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Lyla had challenges with all her kids at one time or another.  Margo at first was rebellious and carrying on with James Steinbeck. 

cricket was a total vixen.   Katie was a schemer trying to get Holden

And then there’s Craig.  Sort of sympathized with him during the Steve Betsy triangle and Sierra but he was a complete monster when he returned 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I thought she was lovely but as you say she was not utilized. They, also, had two actresses playing the role which I took to mean the original actress was unavailable and not likely to stay. There were scenes,  brief though they were, where Bianca had a bit of an edge. I do not think the character needed to be a lead but I think exploring a relationship with Lucinda where they had a fabulous, supportive relationship, enjoyed each other’s company, had fun and were kindreds (as both grew up poor and both were daughters of women who worked as cleaners) would have been a nice contrast to Lucinda’s relationships with the other daughters. Everyone needs a kindred spirit. 

• Members

Why didn't the show ever bring back Bianca?

I always felt that the show was so dumb in not bringing back a plethora of characters that were a blank slate that could've resumed the role that many of the created characters in later years filled. 

But back to Bianca should've been brought back around the time they brought Sierra back under Hogan Sheffer. It would've given Lucinda even more, and I would've loved to have seen Lucinda have that one daughter that wasn't righteous and was a bulldozer in business. 

• Members

So many characters that could've been brought back in addition to Bianca.

Just imagine if they had brought on Hope to stay with Grandma Kim and Grandpa Bob maybe because Andy and Denise were having a difficult time raising the now rebellious teenager. It also could've involved Grandpa John who would've tried to intervene too. She could've been part of the young adult group with Parker, Faith, Liberty etc., 

And the twenty-something set could've used one or two of the Stewart/Ward quads. 

Not to mention Daniel could've been used as Emily needed her son instead of that child, they brought on her for her with no connection or ties. 

As The World Turns had so much potential to enhance their next generation but we know what happened there. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

Agreed.

I've said countless times that all the stunt casting the show did in its final years should've simply placed those actors in legacy roles, which would've endeared us to the characters and kept those actors around longer. 

I've always wanted to ask the vets on the board if it is true that when a head writer creates a new character, do they get some kind of residual check if the character last eons? I remember someone saying that on SOC (when I used to post there eons ago), and I found that to be farfetched; however, if true, it'd explain why all these soaps writers prefer creating all these pointless characters instead of digging in the rich annals of these shows.

• Members

I doubt he even knew who Bianca was. I doubt anyone at the show by that point did. Liz Hubbard once said in an interview that a script had her saying something like, "I have two daughters," and she made sure to change it to three. 

• Members

Kudos to Liz Hubbard for catching that and making the change. This is why continuity writers are so important on these shows. That aside, I never got how a head writer could resume the role and not do research on the show beforehand. Personally, I'd find the research portion of taking on this role to be fun--reading the show's history, reading bibles, questioning the veterans--that all would be fun to me. 

• Members

That's because you care about soaps, rather than resenting them for not being the film career you were never, ever going to have because you're a talentless hack.

I am glad Liz did try to stand ground on these types of moments, much as she was criticized for doing so. When you don't, the reality of your show is ruined in ways that space aliens and time travel never do. I still remember how many people winced when they had Reva Shayne calling Marah her first-born child. 

• Members

And Kim Zimmer didn't change the line?! As vocal as she is? I guess she wasn't on point that day. 

I do care about soaps... at least what they used to be. It was my dream for the longest to be a head writer of Guiding Light and As the World Turns and restore them back to normalcy but that dream is nuked. Overall, it just pains me about what I read even about the remaining the 4 and how these shows are still be ran by washed-up hacks, but whatever. They cannot be repaired at this point. I do give Ron one positive in that he does bring legacy characters out of the woodwork even though he ends up having them do wacky sh*t before casting them aside. 

• Members

What did Lucinda’s businesses actually do or make Walsh and Worldwide?  For that matter not sure of what any of the soaps companies did except for Jabot Cosmetics and Forestors and Lewis Oil and Corey Publishing.   Product was not important but family and corporate intrigue was

So do not know what Spauldings, Quartermains, Chancellor Industries actually did.  I probably missed it   Although I read somewhere that Phillip Chancellor dealt with tobacco even though he got on Katherine for smoking

Sorry  for getting off subject for other soaps