Dark Shadows Revival

• Members

I loved Roger, especially when he would make bitchy remarks to people, slam down the liquor, and neglect his annoying son, or even better, try to ship him away.

He wasn't as entertaining in the show's later years but he did have some wonderful moments near the end of the Leviathan story where for once he was totally clued in to everything that was going on and he got to be at the center of the action. My favorite was when he had to rescue Carolyn from being held prisoner by Bruno Hess, and he ssssssllllooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy hit Bruno on the back of the head with a candlestick.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It might make a great remake but with two previous versions, it would always be compared to them.. no matter what. Which Victoria Winter's performance did everyone prefer? Alexandra Moltke had a very interesting take on the character (she played the clueless ingenue to perfection but there was always an underlying feisty element that Betsy Durkin didn't bring to the role). On the other side, you had Joanna Going play her in the 1991 version but the character was slightly different then in the original version (she wasn't quite as clueless.. perhaps due to different era)

• Members

I think a remake could succeed even if it is compared to the earlier versions, but not if it's full of overaged teenagers, bimbos with scrawny bodies, big implants, and dead line readings, monosyllabic "hunks" who look constipated, or endless smirkers who constantly wink at the audience with overwritten dialogue to show us that the person running the show is oh so clever.

If they try to do anything which is too similar to something like a CW show or a Whedon show or the Twilight films they are setting themselves up for failure.

It also depends on the success of the Tim Burton movie, as he is so hyped that many may see his version as the only one and may be wary of moving in another area.

Joanna was fine but I think Alexandra brought a guilesness and an inner strength, especially in the early episodes. She was one of a kind.

• Members

CarlD, I may as well have you sign my name to each of your posts.

1 - Loved Joanna Going's Victoria Winters and didn't expect to because I couldn't stand her as Lisa Grady - a similar character: naive, sweet, sensitive, lovely, innocent (at least before LG flipped after losing Jamie Cory). She tried to give Lisa those traits on AW, but came off as stiff and unlikable, IMO. I didn't think she could pull it off, but she did a great job.

Alexandra played Victoria the way she should have been especially given the undercurrent that Victoria was probably Elizabeth's daughter. Carolyn, the wild and angry child, compared to Victoria - her complete opposite. I understand that the relationship was confirmed in a later book - Victoria was a Collins. Too bad it was never explored on the show.

It made sense that Barnabas had such a fondness for Victoria when he first met her and that she saw him in a way no one else did.

2 - Johnny Depp was a huge DS fan, from what I've read, and have no doubt that he'll do a magnificent job as Barnabas and will reign Burton's tendencies toward the extreme back. I can't wait for the movie and hope it does lead to a second (or is that third) revival? The Blair Brown version of DS never made it to air on the CW. Maybe the upside to that was no Alexis Thorpe. I guess the CW preferred the smirking hunks instead.

3 - a 'teen scene' version of DS could only fail. There's a seriousness to DS that you don't find in the Vamp Diaries (smirking hunks and all) or in the Twilight Saga - which I HATE (it's a loathsome telling of a goth tale). The only thing that gives TWS any credibility is the morose and nihilistic nature of Bella - and the more I read about the actress the more it seems that even that was a happy accident due to casting.

Archived