ATWT July 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh yeah, JP should have had a co-HW. I don't believe that anything could have saved ATWT -- it could have had the best writer EVER and been at its best ever, and I still think it would have been circling the drain -- but I sure wish I could say that I've enjoyed it over the last couple of years. Sure, on an episode-by-episode basis, there have been many, many great, watchable episodes. But all of it strung together...it's been pretty bad.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JP still having a job is a slap in the face, to both ATWT and OLTL fans.

I agree. (Even though earlier I said that the show "died" ages ago. :ph34r: I should have said a big part of it died... but some of it's still there.)

And I like that we are still seeing some of our beloved characters. Lucinda and Barbara have always been my favorites by-far (Kim too), so I'm glad they are still so involved.

And damn, Kim might have been the *only* good part about today. ^_^

• Members

Colleen Zenk Pinter definitely deserves better material than what they gave her today - talking to a clown and hugging it. And I didn't get why she was trying to light off fireworks - surely she should realize that is so dangerous to do in an enclosed space. Alot of good it would do to attract attention but you burn in the fire it creates. Today's script was weak. Kim was the best part of the show.

• Members

I agree. I think a good HW and/or EP *might* have prolonged the show... maybe 1 or 2 more years? But I think we lament about what might-have-been because we all want to see the show at its best.

But the bottom line is that P&G checked out ages ago. I think AW's cancellation did them in. Once they wanted out, that was that. That's why when GL was cancelled, the writing was on the wall for ATWT. :(

• Members

It is an industry full of nepotism that has contributed to its self-destruction. People hire their friends, lovers and family members in spite of their lack of talent and ability. Passante is rumored to be RC's good friend so he brings her aboard to write OLTL is already in jeopardy of cancellation due to his own incompetence. And as someone pointed out earlier no doubt that Goutman will show up at OLTL as a director at some point.

• Members

Yeah..Goutman will be on OLTL before we know it. It's a shame some talented ATWT actors are out of a job yet Goutman and Pissy continue to get employed even though they killed a legendary soap!

• Members

Not only the actors, think about the crew who slaved away for a fraction of the salaries that the writers and actors received. It absolutely killed me to read Goutman saying in that last AP article that he and Passante fought to keep ATWT on the air. The delusional nutjob actually thinks that they did a good job, but other factors like shifting demos are solely responsible for cancellation. He acknowledges no responsibility..

• Members

Seriously, though. What could anyone have done to "save ATWT?" Look at the ratings. They don't spike when "things get good" nor do they dip when "things get bad." They steadily fall, and nothing in this whole wide world can ever get the ratings back up to a practical level. It's easy to go on and on about people killing shows, but honestly, I think it's just the grief talking. Whether a show is well-written or not is PURELY subjective. There's not a factual thing, not a "standard," involved at all, so to act like one's own opinion speaks for the entire viewing audience's is a little narcissistic, no?

To be honest, I have to respect anyone who's able to string together 250+ hour-long episodes each year with somewhat coherent stories and not get entirely overwhelmed. Am I fan of those stories? Most of the time, no. But am I going to project that belief onto every member of the audience and say that the main reason why the show's numbers are down is because of a subjective characteristic of the show? No indeed. We don't even know how many people watch the episodes online or tape it or DVR it. So basing everything on the outdated, nearly-useless Neilsen system isn't really accurate.

• Members

A LOT could have been done. First, bring back Martha B. as Lily. Ratings haven't recovered since she left. Get rid of all the dead weight like Janet, Liberty, Dusty(he is NOT the Dusty I remember..he is so useless now), Vienna, Henry, Jon L. Craig and bring back Scott Bryce ..why fire the guy??..Bring back storyline focus on the vets...and if I were Goutman I would have fired Pissy and given the HW duties to Susan Dansby and a rehired Penelope K.

I would do more but thats a few things..

Archived